[SOLVED] Weird/burning smell coming from rig/gpu then shutdown.

koala_man_tm

Prominent
Jun 10, 2018
A few days ago there was a weird smell coming from my rig, I couldn't tell if it was chemical or burning. My parent's also couldn't come to a conclusion on the smell just describing it as "weird" as well. Of course I was stupid to ignore the smell but I didn't know it was coming from my rig, which then shut down towards the end of the night in the middle of a game of League. My motherboard lights stayed on (usually they breath on and off when in shut down) and my rig wouldn't turn on, UNTIL I turned the PSU off then on again. I continued my game of League until the rig done it yet again, fearing it was my PSU I didn't turn it on again and opened the side up to see where the smell was coming from.

I could of sworn it was coming from my 750w Corsair PSU, so I unplugged everything and ordered a new 650w Corsair PSU. I fitted it in no less than an hour ago and everything seems to be running fine, until I smell that smell again. I open the case up again and start sniffing around, since it simply couldn't be my brand new PSU (unless I'm very unlucky...) it must be my GPU.

The first time I had sniffed around I had the smell pin pointed between the PSU and GPU so I could of sworn it was the PSU after some research, the strongest smell is in the same place, between the PSU and GPU. So it must be my GPU, right? Should I just try and contact MSI if the warrnaty is still available? Or is there any possible fix?

Solution
I do this "smelling around" thing a lot for my job.....and it can be tough to pinpoint where the smell is coming from in a PC case.

I would remove the GPU and smell it outside the case.....I think this will help you a lot.