Question Weird buzzing noise ONLY while gaming?

Shushki

Reputable
Jun 25, 2019
Hello,

Recently I started noticing this faint buzzing noise while I am gaming. At first, I thought I was just hearing things but sure enough, I took my side panel off and my PC is making some weird buzzing noise. It seems to stop every time I close a game, but if I am in a game and actively playing it, something will whine. If I tab out of the game it will make my entire screen go black for a second and then come back on, and then the buzzing noise will stop. But if I reenter the game, it will immediately start again. I thought it might be a dying HDD but I did a R/W test on all my drives and no sound occurred.

Does anybody have any idea what this might be?

Attached is a video of my computer and monitors while the problem is occurring. You might have to turn the audio up in order to hear it.

Cem Goker

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2013
That's GPU coil whine alright, I also have it on my RTX 3070 TUF. It could also be PSU whine, but I'm putting my money on the GPU. Unfortunately, you can't 100% fix a GPU whine. You can try setting an FPS limit to your games, undervolt your GPU, and turn some settings down to reduce the noise.

Shushki

Reputable
Jun 25, 2019
That's GPU coil whine alright, I also have it on my RTX 3070 TUF. It could also be PSU whine, but I'm putting my money on the GPU. Unfortunately, you can't 100% fix a GPU whine. You can try setting an FPS limit to your games, undervolt your GPU, and turn some settings down to reduce the noise.

I just recently purchased my 3080 from amazon and it's still within its return period, should I return it and get a replacement?

Cem Goker

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2013
I just recently purchased my 3080 from amazon and it's still within its return period, should I return it and get a replacement?
That is entirely up to you. Coil whine is a very common issue, and it won't damage your GPU in any way and it won't affect its longevity either. It's simply a side effect of a the coil vibrating in an inductor as power passes thru the component. If you do get a replacement, you should expect your new GPU to have coil whine as well as I did say before, it is a very common occurrence.