[SOLVED] Weird case/cooler combo, airflow advice + intake fan suggestions?

Nov 12, 2020
Hi all, I am building my first pc. I put the noctua nh-d15 with a 10700k into the smallest, cheapest case I could find that would fit them, a phanteks eclipse p300. (I have a weird sense of humor.) I'll be adding a 3070 when I can find one. I could only fit one noctua fan on the cooler, of the two that came with it. The case came with one basic exhaust fan. The front of the case can hold 2 intake fans, and I can fit one more venting out the top. My question is, for the best cooling, should I add the second exhaust fan? I'm not sure if it is going to help with the cooling because it is at such a stark angle to the cooler (see picture).
To follow up, if I do or do not add the second fan, does that change how many intake fans I should put on? I was planning on adding 2 to the front and leaving off that top exhaust fan, because the red and blue arrows look better that way in my head, but I'd like some ideas. And I'm also taking suggestions for intake fans.

Thank you in advance all!

Edit: Can't add the picture the way I intended. Suffice to say that the second fan would be jammed up against the radiators from the noctua.

Last edited:
Solution
I'm using the p300A mesh (in front).
That changes things - significantly so. It's not thermally challenged like the P300, though going by your experience, cable management is a bit tight - manageable, but tight.

Do you want to prioritize cpu cooling:
Fill the front with intake fans, leave the top and rear spots empty.

Do you want to prioritize gpu cooling:
Fill the front with intake fans and the top with exhaust fans - leave the rear empty; the D15's fan already pushes out the gpu exhaust that rises behind it.

I was also considering the Corsair 4000D Airflow, which would be much roomier. That one seems solid, but I'd like your opinion on it. And again, I'm open to fan layout and intake fan model suggestions.
This...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
My question is, for the best cooling, should I add the second exhaust fan?
No. The NH-D15's design works against that. Those folds at the sides of the towers? They reduce the effect of top panel chassis fans, but at the same time, that promotes more uniform front to back airflow.
Also: if the rear fan has weaker specs than that of the D15, remove it, as it'll just be getting in the way.

Phanteks Eclipse P300
Oh dear. With the current hardware combo, you have a challenge ahead.
This chassis is near identical in design with NZXT's H500 series, and I'd be surprised if it didn't share the same 2 weaknesses:
1)Limited cooling options/configurations.

2)Limited cooling potential.
With only 2 actual 'exits', the ability to exhaust heat effectively is crippled from the get-go.
I know you were probably looking to get a fancy 3070 model, but if you intend to stay with that chassis, I strongly suggest getting:
-a blower model. Dumps its waste heat right out the back. They don't get much love because they're loud and have higher operating thermals.
-find a DIY hybrid cooling kit. The 30 series is still fresh, so compatible options probably aren't an option at the moment.
-a premade hybrid cooled model, if one exists.
The other fan cooled models just won't help, as they dump all their waste heat inside the chassis, and the exhaust is already strained as it is.

Nov 12, 2020
I don't know what you mean by "fancy 3070" but I was intending to get one of the standard $500 models. I am open to a blower model, but I'm not familiar with hybrid cooling. (And quite frankly I'm a little scared of it, I picture myself killing my entire pc.)
Don't almost all cases only have 2 exits?
I do enjoy putting all of this stuff in a teeny-tiny case like the p300, but my primary concern is not hurting the lifespan of my components.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
By fancy, I was referring to the likes of Asus Strix, EVGA FTW, Gigabyte Aorus, etc.

If you're not familiar with hybrid cooling, I won't touch upon it too much.

Don't almost all cases only have 2 exits?
Hmm. Looks like a poor choice of words on my part.

Ok.
Rear exhaust/rear fan. That one's pretty much a given, so I'll pass it temporarily.
The top is lacking though. That 140mm grille is it - the rest of the top panel is pretty much sealed; air will not easily escape through the smaller gaps in the chassis.
Now, take a look at the top panel of the P400. Simply larger open area and more effective for getting air out.

Look at the whole package, and the P300 isn't going to let heat out as easily than the P400 would.
Cooling is only as effective as what the chassis allows; cpu and gpu coolers won't work as well when the chassis they're encased in restricts the air coming in, out, or both.

I do enjoy putting all of this stuff in a teeny-tiny case like the p300, but my primary concern is not hurting the lifespan of my components.
That's cool.
It shouldn't be a problem. Just don't expect exceptional operating thermals, even with a D15 and one of the above gpu models I mentioned.

That's tiny, even though it's not M-ITX?

Nov 12, 2020
Tiny for a mid-tower I mean, sorry for the late response. Yesterday was a little nuts. I didn't want to get too cute going for a micro-atx for my first time. Also, a major point of correction: I'm using the p300A mesh (in front).
Would you still recommend a different case? I'm not married to the p300A mesh. I bought it on a lark, but my not-at-all modular PSU has quite a tough time fitting the cables into the little compartment. (I can manage it, but it ain't pretty.)
I was also considering the Corsair 4000D Airflow, which would be much roomier. That one seems solid, but I'd like your opinion on it. And again, I'm open to fan layout and intake fan model suggestions.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I'm using the p300A mesh (in front).
That changes things - significantly so. It's not thermally challenged like the P300, though going by your experience, cable management is a bit tight - manageable, but tight.

Fill the front with intake fans and the top with exhaust fans - leave the rear empty; the D15's fan already pushes out the gpu exhaust that rises behind it.

This one's going to depend on your idea of worth: If the extra expense will be worth it for you for the extra cable management room.
Fan layout: same as the P300A Mesh, I'd think.

Solution
Nov 12, 2020

This one's going to depend on your idea of worth: If the extra expense will be worth it for you for the extra cable management room.
Fan layout: same as the P300A Mesh, I'd think.
Hi Phaaze, just resurrecting this thread to say that after a week, this is working quite well. The air leaving the case feels cooler than the ambient temperature! (That said, I haven't been able to acquire a GPU, and so have not put the CPU through a stress test.) I went with your first suggestion, and both of my intakes are Noctuas as well.
Thank you!