[SOLVED] Weird chirping noise at certain fan speed

Irisena

Commendable
Oct 1, 2019
So, I have this 1070 blower type graphics card and it's kind of odd... it makes this chirping sound when exactly at 53% and 60% fan speed (+- a few percent), but other than that, it works perfectly fine with no weird noises. it can run to 100% fan speed just fine, and for now, I set it at a curve with minimum 65% fan speed so it won't make that funny noises anymore. I really have no idea what's going on here. is it an almost broken fan? but if it's a broken fan, how can it works just fine at 100%? or is it something else?

Solution
You would need the part number for an effective search on something like that. Though blower style fans are usually all a standard part, I doubt they went full custom on it. Worth an email to the manufacturer.

Silicone oil may not be an ideal lubricant for the fan. Adding such things are usually stop gap measures before fan failure. Also, depending on the bearing type, it could be harmful.

Oscillations are inherent in anything with moving parts. No machined surface is truly perfect, and this is far from precision work. These things aren't designed to last. You say the problem only occurs at certain speeds, that says that some harmonic or sympathetic vibration is happening with something. Could just be a small defect on a ball bearing...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Can't really help you there. Either an oscillation caused by that particular frequency, something wrong with the windings or the bearings.

Probably out of warranty, but you can still ask them for the part number for a replacement fan.

Or replace the cooler entirely.

Irisena

Commendable
Oct 1, 2019
that's where the problem comes... if it's just simply replacing the fan then it's simple enough for me to do it myself... problem is the blower type single slot fan for 1070 katana isn't available anywhere i look.
idk if I should add some silicon oil for the bearing too. the fan could ramp up just fine to 100% with normal sound so I doubt that it's the fan bearing. and what oscillation are we talking about here?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You would need the part number for an effective search on something like that. Though blower style fans are usually all a standard part, I doubt they went full custom on it. Worth an email to the manufacturer.

Silicone oil may not be an ideal lubricant for the fan. Adding such things are usually stop gap measures before fan failure. Also, depending on the bearing type, it could be harmful.

Oscillations are inherent in anything with moving parts. No machined surface is truly perfect, and this is far from precision work. These things aren't designed to last. You say the problem only occurs at certain speeds, that says that some harmonic or sympathetic vibration is happening with something. Could just be a small defect on a ball bearing or surface, and at that revolution it pushes it in just the right direction to set up a reinforcement in that direction every time it comes around. Coupled with some minor imbalance in the fan, it would cause an oscillation that gets amplified every revolution.

Hmm, I would want to take apart the cooler to see if it actually uses ball bearings, but it might:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Galax-...tem4442e99a58:g:LaIAAOSwI~FdSphX&entryapp=dlp

Could be a worthwhile solution. Truly a shame if they used subpar bearings that are susceptible to rusting of all things.

Reactions: Irisena
Solution

TRENDING THREADS