[SOLVED] Weird clicking noise, freezing and audio issues

Feb 19, 2023
Hi!

Weird issue (I think)

Like once or twice an hour my PC emmits a fast clicking sound (like 5 notes), and i cant locate which component causes this.
Directly after this sound/during this happends:

Video and sound freezes for a few seconds, often the audio also "glitches" during this time or
Only video/only sound freezes for a few seconds or
Video dies (No input, like the video cable isnt connected) and i have to restart to get it back working

Components are not overheating, and the issues also happen when im only watching netflix (for example)

Troubleshooting:
Cleaned the case/components
Reinstalled windows
Formated the HDD
Ran chkdsk on the HDD
Checked connections and "re-plugged" everyting

My only guess is that either the GPU or PSU is failing, any guess which one?
PC is 5 yrs old

Parts:
MOBO: B360 GAMING PLUS (MS-7B22)
CPU: Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3192 Mhz
SSD: KINGSTON SA1000M8480G
HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM008 2 TB 3.5
GPU: GeForce GTX 1070

Solution
Disconnect the HDD and see if the issue goes away. Pretty much the only thing that could make that noise, IMO. A fan would be easy to locate. I have heard of failing PSU making a noise much like relay or static clicks.

If you have a drive going in and out the system is going to be working trying to connect to it and can cause systemwide issues.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Disconnect the HDD and see if the issue goes away. Pretty much the only thing that could make that noise, IMO. A fan would be easy to locate. I have heard of failing PSU making a noise much like relay or static clicks.

If you have a drive going in and out the system is going to be working trying to connect to it and can cause systemwide issues.

Solution
Feb 19, 2023

Wow, thanks! You might have saved me. Im kinda dissapointed in myself for not trying that. I've dissconected the HDD and haven't had any issues since. Gonna keep testing later tomorrow but, great signs!