Question Weird clicking noise

Ohushi

Honorable
Dec 11, 2013
I have recently just used A-xmp to bring my ram up to 3200mhz on my b450 tomahawk. now im getting a weird clicking noise every now and then. All of my fans are clear and i have since turned off a-xmp yes its still making the noise.
ive heard it could be a bad circuit on the motherboard?

CPU-Ryzen 5 2600x
GPU- Gigabyte RTX 2060
Motherboard- MSI B450 Tomahawk
RAM- Corsair vengeance RGB pro 16gb(2x8gb) DDR4 3200MHz c16
Power supply- Corsair CX 550 watt

Get or use a long funnel, or roll up a long piece of paper or cardboard into a funnel shape. Stick the small end up to your ear and use the long end to move around inside the case until you can positively narrow down what area the noise is coming from.

There are a dozen things this could be.

Is the clicking occurring during boot times, or is it happening when the system is in the desktop environment running normally? Does it happen at idle or only under demanding loads?

Does it happen during normal usage or only when gaming?

Knowing what area it is coming from, would be extremely helpful.

Ohushi

Honorable
Dec 11, 2013
Get or use a long funnel, or roll up a long piece of paper or cardboard into a funnel shape. Stick the small end up to your ear and use the long end to move around inside the case until you can positively narrow down what area the noise is coming from.

There are a dozen things this could be.

Is the clicking occurring during boot times, or is it happening when the system is in the desktop environment running normally? Does it happen at idle or only under demanding loads?

Does it happen during normal usage or only when gaming?

Knowing what area it is coming from, would be extremely helpful.
it seems to be happening under load. and sounds like its coming from the power delivery from the mobo to the the ram/cpu

it seems to be happening under load. and sounds like its coming from the power delivery from the mobo to the the ram/cpu

So, you mean to say it seems to be in the mosfet/VRM area?

It could be minor, or it could be something major. I think I'd probably pull the board, set it up on the bench and verify for certain that is where the problem is coming from. If it is, then I'd contact the manufacturer about an RMA.

You might find, in the process, that it's actually coming from someplace else, but if not, then you needed to pull the board to get it replaced anyhow.

Ohushi

Honorable
Dec 11, 2013
So, you mean to say it seems to be in the mosfet/VRM area?

It could be minor, or it could be something major. I think I'd probably pull the board, set it up on the bench and verify for certain that is where the problem is coming from. If it is, then I'd contact the manufacturer about an RMA.

You might find, in the process, that it's actually coming from someplace else, but if not, then you needed to pull the board to get it replaced anyhow.
Thank you vey much. Ill be doing that tonight.

The wattage has nothing really to do with it. Even an underpowered power supply, that is working correctly, shouldn't click. Clicking is usually either a fan blade hitting something, fan bearing failing, failing hard drive or a relay. My Hero VIII has relays that click several times during boot times, and if a relay was bad, it could click constantly. Other than that, there is really nothing ON the board itself that could click. So if it's the power supply, it's because something internally is faulty or it's a low quality unit, not because it is 550w.

550w, if it's a high quality PSU, is plenty for your 2060.

Ohushi

Honorable
Dec 11, 2013
The wattage has nothing really to do with it. Even an underpowered power supply, that is working correctly, shouldn't click. Clicking is usually either a fan blade hitting something, fan bearing failing, failing hard drive or a relay. My Hero VIII has relays that click several times during boot times, and if a relay was bad, it could click constantly. Other than that, there is really nothing ON the board itself that could click. So if it's the power supply, it's because something internally is faulty or it's a low quality unit, not because it is 550w.

550w, if it's a high quality PSU, is plenty for your 2060.
I took everything out and cleaned it, clicking is suddenly gone. i hope it was jsut a fan hitting a wire or something.