Question Weird clicking sound

Jan 13, 2020
Hello people,
so after searching for a bit on the forums i found no solution to my problem so I decided to post my question. I am currently using the Nvidia geforce gtx 1660ti graphics card which so far has shown no problems whatsoever. Lately though, when i am playing for example witcher 3 and either i go to the menus or close the game and go to the desktop there is a small clicking sound coming from the GPU. It is instant and nearly silent and occurs ONLY when the usage of the gpu drops suddenly. Is it normal? Or is it the prodrome of something really bad. Thanks again
Note; my pc is quite dusty at the moment so consider that as well

Last edited:
At the very least clean out all the dust and use a bright light to make sure GPU fans and it's heatsink fins are clear to pass hot air. Just don't go all Rambo and cause more problems, take your time and pay attention.

If you still get a clicking sound I would try to see if the fans power cable has dropped just enough for the fan to come in contact with it. Kinda like when kids used to put playing card on there bike to click click click as you peddled. Instant pretend motorcycle lol

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2020
At the very least clean out all the dust and use a bright light to make sure GPU fans and it's heatsink fins are clear to pass hot air. Just don't go all Rambo and cause more problems, take your time and pay attention.

If you still get a clicking sound I would try to see if the fans power cable has dropped just enough for the fan to come in contact with it. Kinda like when kids used to put playing card on there bike to click click click as you peddled. Instant pretend motorcycle lol
All right yes. Firstly i will clean my pc and hopefully that will fix it. it's not a mechanical sound or something alarming just this weird noise while turning a switch on and off quickly

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Is the noise steady when in the menus of witcher 3? You're saying it goes away even when still in the menus?

I'm thinking coil whine. I wouldn't describe it as clicking, maybe a clicky buzz. If you have vsync off and you immediately hear it when going into the menus in witcher 3 when the framerate skyrockets to the thousands, that is coil whine no question. My RTX 2070 super does the same thing so did my GTX 1060 before it and every other GPU I have ever owned for that matter. Its perfectly normal if it only happens when framerates are extremely high say when in the menu of a game. This should not happen at the desktop, or at least I have never experienced that, framerate is capped to refresh rate when at the desktop, which is not high enough to cause coil whine in any GPU I have ever owned.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2020
Is the noise steady when in the menus of witcher 3? You're saying it goes away even when still in the menus?

I'm thinking coil whine. I wouldn't describe it as clicking, maybe a clicky buzz. If you have vsync off and you immediately hear it when going into the menus in witcher 3 when the framerate skyrockets to the thousands, that is coil whine no question. My RTX 2070 super does the same thing so did my GTX 1060 before it and every other GPU I have ever owned for that matter. Its perfectly normal if it only happens when framerates are extremely high say when in the menu of a game. This should not happen at the desktop, or at least I have never experienced that, framerate is capped to refresh rate when at the desktop, which is not high enough to cause coil whine in any GPU I have ever owned.
The noise is not steady it just goes off when i go to witcher 3 menus after playing for quite some time. It lasts for one second and is just a small click like smthing blocks the fans