[SOLVED] Weird colored squares showing on the whole screen...

wuffll

Reputable
Aug 10, 2016
Hello everyone!

So I just installed a new GPU in my computer and everything seemed to work fine at the beginning but when I tried to open a game, as soon as it loaded up, weird colored squares appeared on the whole screen. I've tried installing different driver versions and have clean installed the graphics drivers. Might not matter but one of the games which I tried were working fine without the drivers(even though the fps was low but the squares didn't appear). The graphics card is the Sapphire NITRO+ Radeon RX 580 8GB. The PC worked completely fine with the previous graphics card(Asus R9 280X DirectCUII TOP 3GB).

Here's the picture of the squares that cover the whole screen.

Thanks in advance,
Wuffll

Solution
Usually artifacts like that are a sign of a failing graphics card. If its new I would contact their customer support, if its used get your money back.

A Google search also lead me to a forum where someone said resetting their monitors color/gamma adjustments resolved it. You can give that a try.
Usually artifacts like that are a sign of a failing graphics card. If its new I would contact their customer support, if its used get your money back.

A Google search also lead me to a forum where someone said resetting their monitors color/gamma adjustments resolved it. You can give that a try.

Solution

wuffll

Reputable
Aug 10, 2016

I've just got two BSOD's (video_tdr_failure and thread_stuck_in_device_driver) if that helps. Most likely gonna have to get my money back.

wuffll

Reputable
Aug 10, 2016
That's most likely a VRAM corruption issue. RMA the card, if the issue persists. Which Power Supply unit are you using to power up this GPU ? List the Model Number.
The PSU is an FSP HP600S.
Edit: I don't know if that would cause the artifacts. I read it only effects instability.

Last edited:
That's just a basic 80 Plus certified PSU model.....Not the very best, but I'm not sure whether the PSU is indeed the culprit....If you can try some other spare PSU to boot your PC, then it would be nice.

Though, I suspect your GPU has some issues. The card might be faulty....Try to re-seat the GPU once again properly on the mobo's PCI-E x16 slot.

wuffll

Reputable
Aug 10, 2016
That's just a basic 80 Plus certified PSU model.....Not the very best, but I'm not sure whether the PSU is indeed the culprit....If you can try some other spare PSU to boot your PC, then it would be nice.

Though, I suspect your GPU has some issues. The card might be faulty....Try to re-seat the GPU once again properly on the mobo's PCI-E x16 slot.
The PC worked completely fine with the previous GPU so I really doubt it's the PSU. I have tried reseating it, unfortunately it didn't work. Thank you all for trying, I'll try to RMA the card while it still has warranty.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2022
Hey, wuffll what happens to your GRAPHIC card. I
I also have SAPPHIRE RX 580 8gbam NON-NITRO.

AND facing the same issue in kind of same order.

I try to play state of decay 2 it work fine and then it crash sometime and then these types of coloured cube occur randomly.
sometime thses cubes occur and pc restart.

🙏 So, what happen to your gpu, what solution you find.