Weird colors using VGA in my HP 8200 Elite

rambomhtri

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2014
Hi, I have an HP Compaq 8200 Elite and it has 4GB of RAM, Windows 7 x64 and i3-2100 with Intel HD 2000. I've been using this PC for 4 years in my village with no problems at all. It was connected to a display through the VGA adapter (Intel HD 2000).

Like 5 days ago I brought it to my flat and connected via VGA to my monitor, and this is what happened: from the first screen that is displayed (BIOS), the white color is cyan, red is black, and all the colors in the display are green or blue tones. So basically, it seems that the red color is not working. I've tested 2 different VGA cables and 2 different monitors and a TV, and it happens the same in all of them. Of course, all the cables and monitors work perfectly fine via VGA if I use any other device (I have 2 laptops and they all work using the very same rig), so the problem is 100% the PC.

Anyways, I formatted the PC and installed Windows 8.1 x64, but the color problem never disappeared. Since it happens from the BIOS, it's not a driver problem or a Operative System problem.

Since it has an integrated Intel HD graphic card (which is inside the i3 processor), I don't think Intel HD has failed, cause the processor works perfectly fine and everything else works fine. I've been controlling the PC using TeamViewer and the colors are right and the PC works like a charm, so fast. So I'm pretty sure something's wrong with the VGA connection.

Anyways, this PC has another video output, which is a Displayport. I'm about buying a Displayport to HDMI adapter and then use a HDMI cable, but I don't know if this is gonna solve the problem. Should I go ahead and buy it?

I'm pretty sure it's gonna work cause I think the VGA just broke (I don't know why). Is it possible that the Intel HD has failed and no matter what output I use, it's not going to display red color?

I don't know, when a graphic card gets broken, I've heard that Windows does not even recognize it, or there are weird textures in games, weird lines across the screen, it blinks... but that only the red is not working does not seem to be to me that the graphic card is broken...