[SOLVED] Weird computer display issue

dragonfly22588

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
For quite some time now I've been having this issue where sometimes I will be using my computer and suddenly it will go completely black and most often the screen will return to normal after about 5 seconds as if nothing has happened. Also sometimes when I boot up the computer I see the BIOS bootup but then it also loads to a black screen. This also doesn't happen often but when this happens it doesn't ever seem to load the image of the screen. On occasion if I click the screen just right it will load and type my password it will load into Windows and my screen will return. Most times I have to restart and it goes to normal.

Most of the components in my computer are original from when I put it together in 2012. Graphics card is from 2016. I know in the past when I've had graphics card issues I would still see an image on screen but it would be very distorted. This issue has been going on for more than 1 year and it happens a few times a month not sure what it could be. Thanks.

Solution
Stay with it....

Any improvements are beneficial. For example, some earlier updates either may have failed or were corrupted. Hopefully Windows (and other apps) have caught up to some extent.

As for that HDMI cable:

New plugs can be a very tight fit. No one wants to force the connection so the plug may not be as fully in place as is necessary. The fact that there was a "unplugged" message and a recovery is, I think, a good sign. Better than just a flat out BSOD and nothing happens thereafter.

Continue watching performance and checking for errors and investigating errors that do occur.

A consistent error should be traceable to some extent. Random, varying errors are likely PSU related.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system specs and OS.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

Overall, an 8 year system is very likely to have one or more components nearing designed EOL (End of Life).

You might find some relevant error codes, warnings, or even informational events in Reliability History and Event Viewer.

Has the system ever been powered down, unplugged, and opened up for cleaning and maintenance?

I.e., clean out dust and debris. Then reseat all cables, cards, RAM, jumpers....

Have you backed up all important data and verified that that data is recoverable and readable?

Doing so should be a priority.

dragonfly22588

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Update your post to include full system specs and OS.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

Overall, an 8 year system is very likely to have one or more components nearing designed EOL (End of Life).

You might find some relevant error codes, warnings, or even informational events in Reliability History and Event Viewer.

Has the system ever been powered down, unplugged, and opened up for cleaning and maintenance?

I.e., clean out dust and debris. Then reseat all cables, cards, RAM, jumpers....

Have you backed up all important data and verified that that data is recoverable and readable?

Doing so should be a priority.

Hey thanks for the response. So the PSU I use is my signature but it's a Antec Basiq BP 550 Plus 550 W. It is the original PSU for my system for 7.5 years old. I have never noticed any problem with it before and seems to be working fine. I just searched my computer for this Reliability History that you spoke of and the panel came up and there were 34 critical errors just today so far! However most are Microsoft Edge Content process stop. Five Windows process errors but I can't tell specifically what it is referring to and three Radeon software: Host Application errors.

I power down the system every night. I rarely open it up and clean it however I just did a thoroughly cleaning today and there was a tremendous amount of dust build up everywhere so I got that out. I also bought new HDMI cables and after 1 minute of using them the screen went blue and I saw a message about HDMI unplugged. It lasted about 10 seconds and then the image came back.

Just a few days ago I updated the AMD drivers so those are up to date as well as Windows updates.

Ralston18

Titan
Stay with it....

Any improvements are beneficial. For example, some earlier updates either may have failed or were corrupted. Hopefully Windows (and other apps) have caught up to some extent.

As for that HDMI cable:

New plugs can be a very tight fit. No one wants to force the connection so the plug may not be as fully in place as is necessary. The fact that there was a "unplugged" message and a recovery is, I think, a good sign. Better than just a flat out BSOD and nothing happens thereafter.

Continue watching performance and checking for errors and investigating errors that do occur.

A consistent error should be traceable to some extent. Random, varying errors are likely PSU related.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS