Question Weird computer freezing issue

Oct 5, 2022
Im having a really weird issue where my computer will randomly freezes and all rgp on my mousepad and keyboard will turn off. The picture on the screen will be frozen so the date and time wont update on the screen. When I try to hold the power button to turn it off, it never turns off, so I have to flip the power switch to turn it off and use the power button to turn it on. This wll happen maybe once a week and i use the computer for like 3 hrs. a day. I have tried to update bios to 2 or 3 different versions. I have the overclocking setting set to the normal D.O.C.P standard and I make sure the MHZ for the memory is correct and the cpu info is correct and not overpowered. If I don't have it enabled, my ram only runs at 2666 MHZ. i guess i could do just the memory frequency and not the D.O.C.P setting but thats not the only thing it changes. It seemed like this happened since i put in my customer liquid cooling in my pc. i installed a EKWB GPU block and Monoblock. The only thing i can think of is the motherboard went bad but i dont want that to be the answer lol.

PC specs...
EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 Hybrid
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor, 3701 Mhz, 12 Core(s), 24 Logical Processor(s)
2x16 G.skill Trident Z Neo Series 288-Pin DDR4 Sdram 3600
ROG Crosshair VIII Hero motherboard

dennisr48

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
I had a very similar problem. Vexed me for months. I put together a gaming pc. Initially it worked fine but then my new pc starting freezing. This was a complete hardware freeze that required a hard power reboot. The freeze ups continued randomly about once every 2 or 3 days. I tried every type of troubleshooting software I could run but everything seemed to check out fine. I finally tried a different brand of memory - no effect. Next I bought another SSD, a Samsung 970 model, cloned it and swapped out the Samsung 980. After that, the freeze ups stopped. Seemed clear to me the cause of the problem was the Samsung 980. It’s interesting to note these freeze ups occurred during low load operations such as web browsing or watching videos.