Question Weird CPU clock behaveor

DracoApsu

Commendable
Jan 12, 2020
First of all congratulations for good work on this forum.
Recently i have some isues in my computer and because of that i have done a new clean instalation of windows 10 (everyting errased).
Bios reseted and updated.
Bios CPU and DDR Overclock deactivated.
All drivers updated.
After that i started to pay attention for the behaveor of computer, when i notice that my CPU clock have some normal flutuations in usage (i think) but never pass from 1.6ghz no mather what i do, games, stress test, video or photo edit, programs, etc., my CPU can reach 100% usage but stuck in maximum 1.6Ghz and the clock base is 2.99Ghz.

But (the Weird part) when i run RealTemp program, BOOOOMMMMM my CPU fly to 2.99Ghz and stay there until next boot when 1.6Ghz is the maximum that i can reach.
For example, playing CS:GO in normal state i only have 24 Fps, 50 FPS maximum but if i start Realstate program an close my FPS in CS:GO jump to 150/170.
About CPU temperature everything seams normal in both cases.
In windows safe mode usage flutuations normal and CPU clock speed always at 2.99Ghz.

This is normal?! normal would not be clock speed the same as base speed clock, or having flutuations and can reach there?

Clock speed (before)
Clock speed (after)

Specs:
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Motherboard ASRock G41C-GS R2.0
QuadCore Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650, 3000 MHz (9 x 333)
2x 4Gb DDR3-1333 (667 MHz)
Asus ROG Strix GTX 1050 TI 4Gb-Gaming DDR5

First of all congratulations for good work on this forum.
Recently i have some isues in my computer and because of that i have done a new clean instalation of windows 10 (everyting errased).
Bios reseted and updated.
Bios CPU and DDR Overclock deactivated.
All drivers updated.
After that i started to pay attention for the behaveor of computer, when i notice that my CPU clock have some normal flutuations in usage (i think) but never pass from 1.6ghz no mather what i do, games, stress test, video or photo edit, programs, etc., my CPU can reach 100% usage but stuck in maximum 1.6Ghz and the clock base is 2.99Ghz.

But (the Weird part) when i run RealTemp program, BOOOOMMMMM my CPU fly to 2.99Ghz and stay there until next boot when 1.6Ghz is the maximum that i can reach.
For example, playing CS:GO in normal state i only have 24 Fps, 50 FPS maximum but if i start Realstate program an close my FPS in CS:GO jump to 150/170.
About CPU temperature everything seams normal in both cases.
In windows safe mode usage flutuations normal and CPU clock speed always at 2.99Ghz.

This is normal?! normal would not be clock speed the same as base speed clock, or having flutuations and can reach there?

Clock speed (before)
Clock speed (after)

Specs:
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Motherboard ASRock G41C-GS R2.0
QuadCore Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650, 3000 MHz (9 x 333)
2x 4Gb DDR3-1333 (667 MHz)
Asus ROG Strix GTX 1050 TI 4Gb-Gaming DDR5
What are the CPU temps during the issue?
What windows power plan are you running?

DracoApsu

Commendable
Jan 12, 2020
Whats your PSU?
Try monitoring speed using hwinfo64, sometimes Windows Task Manager reports wrong clocks.

Thanks for the help you're giving.
My PSU is no brand 650W but i have checked the wires and voltages and everything is ok and every cable give the annouced voltage.

I have installed Hwinfo64 and reboot then take this pic
PwQ6a0k.png

Even running games or some benchmark test the clock speed don't change, only cpu usage change.

But if i start realtemp program this happen
lybzJEK.png

And my cpu clock will stay working at 2.99ghz untill i restart or shut down my computer.
The cpu temperature are ok didn't see more than 63°, motherboard running at23 or 25°, so, i didn't notice any abnormal warm up at any hardware 😳

Thanks for the help you're giving.
My PSU is no brand 650W but i have checked the wires and voltages and everything is ok and every cable give the annouced voltage.

I have installed Hwinfo64 and reboot then take this pic
PwQ6a0k.png

Even running games or some benchmark test the clock speed don't change, only cpu usage change.

But if i start realtemp program this happen
lybzJEK.png

And my cpu clock will stay working at 2.99ghz untill i restart or shut down my computer.
The cpu temperature are ok didn't see more than 63°, motherboard running at23 or 25°, so, i didn't notice any abnormal warm up at any hardware 😳
I would say its a bios bug, did you update to the latest bios on your motherboard?

DracoApsu

Commendable
Jan 12, 2020
I am out of ideas, maybe someone else can help.
😂 me too.. Anyway, i don't mind if i need to run realtemp and then close to boost my cpu clock in every windows start up but, what is your opinion about cpu clock? Cpu must always work at full clock (2.99ghz in this case) even at 2% usage, will this take life to CPU?

DracoApsu

Commendable
Jan 12, 2020
possibly intel speed step in the bios? if it isnt enabled then it may not reduce the clock speed? just a thought
It's disable but enabled don't change anything that i can see.. But my problem is not downs the clock but the contrary, my cpu clock just goes up if i run realtemp program if i don't my cpu only can reach 1.6ghz and no more

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS