[SOLVED] weird cracking noise from case

Javdan

Commendable
Jul 17, 2019
it's being a while since some part of the case, most likely GPU, started making a sort of cracking noise. it happens when GPU's temperature changes between 50 to 70 and when pc is shut off. has anyone else experienced anything like this?

1080 gtx oc
i5 8400
635 raidmax psu
8g ram
ssd 120g hdd 1t

Solution
When the gpu runs warmer, that also means it's drawing more power.
When it's drawing more power, the psu has to work harder.
After a certain point, likely the unit's 'advertised max output temperature threshold', the fan has to spin up faster to cool it off.
The cracking is likely the bearings on the psu fan giving out...
OR there's something loose lodged in the fan getting knocked around by it as it spins, causing the 'cracking'.

Take the gpu and the psu out and try shaking them around to make sure nothing's lodged within.
If nothing is found, then it's likely the fan bearing.

Javdan

Commendable
Jul 17, 2019
Why do you say it's the gpu? Is a fan spinning up erratically? A 'cracking noise' isn't made by coil whine.
Perhaps one of your case fans? Cpu cooler fans?

Probably this thing, but without more info to go on, it's just guessing at this point.
Any noticeable abnormal performance?
the sound comes from GPU or from GPU vicinity. I have checked all fans, took them out and no difference. cracking noise mostly happens when something like games increases the temperature of GPU or it cools down.
there are no performance issues, it works perfectly.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
And the power supply is in the vicinity, is it not?

Get either Msi Afterburner or EVGA Precision X, go to their settings, and set a 10% only fan curve.
Download Unigine Heaven Benchmark and do a Custom Preset run:
API: DX 11
Quality: Ultra
Tessellation: Extreme
Stereo 3D: Disabled
Multi-monitor: Disabled
Anti-aliasing: x8
Full Screen: check
Resolution: monitor's max

The fans are the only moving part on the gpu, so if you still hear hear this 'crack' even with them set to only run at 10%, then it's more likely the psu.

Javdan

Commendable
Jul 17, 2019
And the power supply is in the vicinity, is it not?

Get either Msi Afterburner or EVGA Precision X, go to their settings, and set a 10% only fan curve.
Download Unigine Heaven Benchmark and do a Custom Preset run:
API: DX 11
Quality: Ultra
Tessellation: Extreme
Stereo 3D: Disabled
Multi-monitor: Disabled
Anti-aliasing: x8
Full Screen: check
Resolution: monitor's max

The fans are the only moving part on the gpu, so if you still hear hear this 'crack' even with them set to only run at 10%, then it's more likely the psu.
I tried those with 25% fan speed and the noise still consists. it probably is the PSU fault but how can I be sure? the thing is the crack noise happens only when the temperature of GPU changes. PSU is 4month old( but GPU is 2nd handed).

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
After a certain point, likely the unit's 'advertised max output temperature threshold', the fan has to spin up faster to cool it off.
OR there's something loose lodged in the fan getting knocked around by it as it spins, causing the 'cracking'.

Take the gpu and the psu out and try shaking them around to make sure nothing's lodged within.

Solution

Javdan

Commendable
Jul 17, 2019

none of those PSUs are available in my country. what is your opinion on cooler master MWE 750 Gold (none modular)?
it is one of the better PSUs found here and it got a warranty which is hard to come by in Iran.

Javdan

Commendable
Jul 17, 2019
It appears to be a unit marketed in Asian countries; I can't find much info on it, other than it appears to be a decent unit, though a bit overpriced for what it offers.
everything but utter trash is overpriced in Iran right now and I can't find any other PSU in the price range and function as this (granted I don't know much about PSUs).