[SOLVED] Weird Dark/Scorch mark on Thermal paste,Cooler, CPU IHS

jelardz2000

Reputable
Aug 6, 2018
View: https://imgur.com/a/SCsjERT

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

Cooler: Cryorig M9 Plus

MOBO: Asus B450-F Gaming II

Thermal paste used then: Cryorig CP15 (Maybe Expired)

(Under the 3600 writing is where the mark is)

2 weeks after upgrading i was seeing abnormal-ish temps (Abnormal-ish Temps 55-60 idle 83 Gaming)so I decided to clean off the CPU and cooler to replace with MX 4 because I suspected the thermal paste I used was weak and is also 3 years old, After taking off my cpu cooler to clean the thermal paste, the paste and cooler had some sort of burn or scorch mark and I had a mini heart attack thinking I had killed a transistor of something because of the paste. After Cleaning the paste off it disappeared completely on the Cooler but, it seems the mark isn't completely gone on the IHS and it turned into some sort of Dark scratch. the dark scratch slightly disappears when looking at another angle.

the scratch on the IHS does not explain why there is a burn mark on the cooler and thermal paste but after cleaning again the thermal paste a week later there were no signs of dark marks anymore. just a permanent scratch on the IHS which I hope is not bumping my temps higher. I'm wondering if people here had seen this before and could tell me if this is neglible damage to the cpu or not.

my new temps are 45-55 IDLE ryzen balanced plan. Gaming 72-75, CPU Z stress 86 or 87. from what I've been told this is normal temps for ryzen (not sure for my aftermarket cooler).

thank you for any replies.

Last edited:
Solution
That looks like a rub mark, probably from a high spot on the either the cooler or the IHS. I'd not fret since temps are proper and everything's working OK. If you'd 'burnt a transistor' it would fail to POST, or at best be unstable if it did.

The 'high spot' is probably microns in dimension; very very small. But that's all it takes when being pressed together under 90lbs force with an abrasive slurry in between.

And yes, temps in mid-70's under moderate 'gaming' workload is optimum. Even in the 80's it's not 'bad' but it is sub-optimum because it will inhibit boosting. Ideal would be temps in the 60's but that might require better cooling.
That looks like a rub mark, probably from a high spot on the either the cooler or the IHS. I'd not fret since temps are proper and everything's working OK. If you'd 'burnt a transistor' it would fail to POST, or at best be unstable if it did.

The 'high spot' is probably microns in dimension; very very small. But that's all it takes when being pressed together under 90lbs force with an abrasive slurry in between.

And yes, temps in mid-70's under moderate 'gaming' workload is optimum. Even in the 80's it's not 'bad' but it is sub-optimum because it will inhibit boosting. Ideal would be temps in the 60's but that might require better cooling.

Reactions: jelardz2000
Solution

jelardz2000

Reputable
Aug 6, 2018

Thanks thought I damaged something back there. Dark scratch is really all that remains so i guess everything is so far fine. I hope my 1 year warranty is enough to back me.