FJMS1988

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015
Greetings, it's been 7 years since I bought my MSI GT72 2PE Dominator Pro Gaming Laptop and everything was fine until one month ago. I was playing a recently released game (Mount & Blade Bannerlord) when my laptop screen turned black and I had to turn off and on the computer. What I saw when the computer turned one was a lot of annoying green horizontal pixel lines and I was unable to play any game since windows said that my dedicated graphics card had not enough VRAM (it was a NVIDIA GTX 880M with 8GB), but of course the amount of VRAM was not enough since I checked device manager and I saw that windows automatically disabled my dedicated graphics card due to a problem (it said error 43). I restarted the computer using the integrated Intel graphics card and I saw that the green horizontal pixel lines disappeared and there was apparently no problem with this card and the issue was caused only by the dedicated NVIDIA card. After testing many things I came to the conclusion that my GTX 880M graphic card was starting to die and I decided to buy a slightly better one (the GTX 980M), which took one month to be delivered to me due to coronavirus crisis. I was sure that a new graphics card would fix the problem but after installing it I saw that there were still a lot of horizontal pixel lines (the difference is the ones from the old GTX 880M were green and the ones from the new GTX 980M are blue) and the graphic card was disabled again due to a problem. This is where the odyssey begins since I was sure that the problem was not the dedicated graphics card itself, but the way it is recognized by my laptop. I reinstalled drivers, checked and updated BIOS and tried a few tips I found searching in internet but nothing worked and then I restarted my laptop and the problem was gone... No pixel lines and my new dedicated graphics card was perfectly recognized (I was playing games for half an hour to see if the problem was definitelly fixed). I was conviced that the problem was fixed but then I restarted my laptop and the problem was there again, pixel lines everywhere and graphics card automatically disabled, I disassembled the graphics card and used an air compressor to clean the dust inside my laptop thinking that the problem could be some kind of dust obstruction, I assembled the graphics card again, turned on the computer and the problem was gone, I restarted my computer several times and everything was fine, but the 7th time I did it the problem appeared again and then I understood that it would be something difficult to fix... The question is, may a software problem cause an intermittent failure like this in a graphics card or is this a hardware problem? May the BIOS or the CMOS be somehow involved with this problem (maybe a voltage setting) or should I accept that something is definitely broken or about to break inside my laptop? (but not the graphics card itself, which is new, most probably thing is something about the motherboard) The PCIe slots seems to work since device manager reports no problem, so I suspect something else has been desoldered due to overheating, but I am not an expert. The fact is the laptop runs perfectly with the integrated graphics card but fails intermittently with the dedicated one but the problem is not the graphics card itself, so I will bring the laptop to a friend who knows about computer soldering and energy management to see if we can find a solution together. I would really appreciate any help or suggestion you could offer to me since I am out of ideas, thank you very much in advance.

Last edited: