[SOLVED] Weird delay on high end system

Andy11466

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2013
Current build is in my sig below. Whenever I load up some applications my keyboard will lagg in typing. Or if I have a game such as GTA V open when it is alt tabbed and I am typing in a browser or windows search bar, there is a strange 1 second delay to my typing. Seems to be happening under load. Not sure how I can fix this. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Solution
It can be random applications tbh.
It doesn't happen with my other computer I built, such as alt tabbing in a game and typing in another application such as chrome, but with this pc when I alt tab a game and type it has a sec or two delay in when the letters show up as if I'm stressing the computer. (usage is not high at all during alt tabbed games either)
Maybe a few random steam games, noticeably GTA 5.
I downloaded LatencyMon as instructed, not sure how to read the program exactly and what to look for but here are some pictures

View: https://imgur.com/a/DMG7bZH
So that first image that is in the string shows that the Nvidia Driver is producing some significant latency comparatively. I would...

Ralston18

Titan
What are those applications? Are you launching the apps or are they all being launched via the Startup tab?

Can the lag be traced to any one given app or some combination of apps?

Have you tried reinstalling the keyboard drivers? Manually download via the manufacturer's website. Reinstall and reconfigure as applicable.

Open Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance.

Use both but only one at a time.

Watch what your system is doing while idling, while doing light browsing, light work, then gaming.

Determine what resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource.

Start with minimal applications being launched/open and launch apps in a controlled methodical manner.

What you are looking for is some combination of apps and circumstances causing a high % use of some resource and the keyboard lagging begins.

Andy11466

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2013
What are those applications? Are you launching the apps or are they all being launched via the Startup tab?

Can the lag be traced to any one given app or some combination of apps?

Have you tried reinstalling the keyboard drivers? Manually download via the manufacturer's website. Reinstall and reconfigure as applicable.

Open Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance.

Use both but only one at a time.

Watch what your system is doing while idling, while doing light browsing, light work, then gaming.

Determine what resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource.

Start with minimal applications being launched/open and launch apps in a controlled methodical manner.

What you are looking for is some combination of apps and circumstances causing a high % use of some resource and the keyboard lagging begins.

to be exact, with CPU-Z open, no other apps open. If I drag it around really fast in a circle there is a big delay to it. Usage on CPU / GPU is under 5% (windows processes makes slight jumps)

Andy11466

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2013
What is that it that you drag around really fast? Mouse cursor, CPU-Z Window?

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Keyboard - have you tried manually downloading, reinstalling, and re-configuring the keyboard drivers?

Dragging the CPU-Z Window.
HX850 PSU

Brand new parts. Computer was built a week or so ago.

I have a custom mech keyboard, which only uses generic windows drivers. No problems with my keyboard, as I bring it to work and other workstations.

Ralston18

Titan
Try dragging around a couple of other windows as you do CPU-Z.

Look at Latency Monitor as suggested by @helper800

The key is to discover repeatable behavior and observe system performance and parameters as you repeat the necessary actions.

All in all, doing something unique and interesting can be expected to end up with odd results.

CPU-Z, for example, is simply trying to present data in a window, But if that window keeps moving then getting the quantitative data into a particular location is going to take longer.

Proverbial "moving target"...

Going back a couple of steps: what applications are you loading?

Andy11466

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2013
Try dragging around a couple of other windows as you do CPU-Z.

Look at Latency Monitor as suggested by @helper800

The key is to discover repeatable behavior and observe system performance and parameters as you repeat the necessary actions.

All in all, doing something unique and interesting can be expected to end up with odd results.

CPU-Z, for example, is simply trying to present data in a window, But if that window keeps moving then getting the quantitative data into a particular location is going to take longer.

Proverbial "moving target"...

Going back a couple of steps: what applications are you loading?

It doesn't happen with my other computer I built, such as alt tabbing in a game and typing in another application such as chrome, but with this pc when I alt tab a game and type it has a sec or two delay in when the letters show up as if I'm stressing the computer. (usage is not high at all during alt tabbed games either)
I downloaded LatencyMon as instructed, not sure how to read the program exactly and what to look for but here are some pictures

So that first image that is in the string shows that the Nvidia Driver is producing some significant latency comparatively. I would download the latest Nvidia drivers for your GPU as a stand alone and use DDU in safe mode to get rid of your current Nvidia drivers. Then I would install the previously downloaded latest drivers. I would suspect that this will solve your issue. If you have any questions please reply!

Reactions: Ralston18
Solution