[SOLVED] Weird electric buzz coming from back of the PC.

kevindsouza113

Reputable
May 3, 2018
Weird sounds are coming from the rear of my newly built system. It happens on boot when the pc is under load or after i have closed a game. Is it the PSU Arcing or PSU Coil whine? Is PSU Arcing bad for the PC? Should I ignore it or Give the PSU for RMA??

System Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x
GPU: RTX 2060 Super FE
MOBO: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra
RAM: Gskill Trident Z RGB 3600Mhz 2x8GB
STORAGE: Crucial MX500 (1TB, 250GB) & Seagate Barracuda 2tb 5400RPM
PSU: Corsair RM750 2019

Solution
If you've determined that it's not your Video card making the buzzing noise, because video cards tend to be the main culprit of coil whine, then yes it's most likely your PSU. I would return it as coil whine for a PSU is alarming. I've rarely ever heard a PSU making a whine, they're designed to control power and a whine only shows it's struggling. If you're unsure whether it's the GPU or PSU making the whine, use a finger sized cylinder like straw and aim it at the PSU or GPU to isolate the noise origin.
If you've determined that it's not your Video card making the buzzing noise, because video cards tend to be the main culprit of coil whine, then yes it's most likely your PSU. I would return it as coil whine for a PSU is alarming. I've rarely ever heard a PSU making a whine, they're designed to control power and a whine only shows it's struggling. If you're unsure whether it's the GPU or PSU making the whine, use a finger sized cylinder like straw and aim it at the PSU or GPU to isolate the noise origin.

Solution

kevindsouza113

Reputable
May 3, 2018
i dont think it is from the video card. Ive gone through two GPU RMA's and the sound is still there. Also it happens only at load. How do I differentiate coil whine and PSU arcing out?

Does coil whine happen only at load?

kevindsouza113

Reputable
May 3, 2018
i dont think it is from the video card. Ive gone through two GPU RMA's and the sound is still there. Also it happens only at load. How do I differentiate coil whine and PSU arcing out?

Normally should only happen at load, and doesn't matter how many times you return the GPU, you're still rolling the dice with GPU's that create coil whine and there's a good chance you'll get one that has it.

If you think it's the PSU just RMA it. the faster the better.