[SOLVED] Weird entire PC lag, cursor affected dramatically

Hamster1022

Reputable
Jan 5, 2017
I've been trying to troubleshoot this lag where whenever I open a program, light or heavy, my entire pc lags tremendously. The lag usually stops when the task/program is completed/opened. I monitor my CPU/drive usage and there are no spikes in either one. The only way I can show what the lag is like is by moving my cursor around slowly. I've pasted some videos below to try and show you what it looks like. The videos do not to the lag justice, the cursor is moving far slower and choppier than it appears in the video, but you can at least see it snap ahead.

View: https://youtu.be/Didf7WJI3WY

View: https://youtu.be/uqyH84yk3H4

I have tried creating a separate account on this computer and signing into it and the lag is completely non existent. Below are some other things I've tried:
  • Safe mode, I get no lag
  • Completely reinstalling video drivers
  • I checked my page faults, they're sat at a constant 100%, when I check what program is causing the high page faults, it varies. Sometimes it's steam at 2 million, followed by windows explorer at 1.5 million. Closing anything at the top doesn't change the page fault percentage.
  • Disabling ALL of my programs/services from starting with windows (except the windows services) (note, this made it better but it still happened, probably because I had less things trying to do stuff)
  • Turning off programs one by one
  • Plus more that I likely forgot in my lengthy troubleshooting journey
I'm at the point where I'm creating backups of everything and I'm probably going to nuke it if nobody has any input. RIP windows install from 2012.

Lutfij

Titan
2012? Windows 10 was released in 2014 so I'm curious to ask what version of Windows 10 you're currently working with?

Mind sharing the specs to your computer like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard. If you are indeed on Windows 10(on the latest version) and you didn't post in this section by accident, then you should try reinstalling your chipset and USB drivers and see it that alleviates the issue.

Hamster1022

Reputable
Jan 5, 2017
CPU: I7-9700K
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge Ac
Ram: 16GB Kingston Hyperx 2133 MHz (I tested the ram using some ram testing tool and there were no errors)
SSD/HDD: Samsung 850 EVO SSD, WD Black 1TB HDD (OG drive), and some old Hitachi 300GB HDD I stripped from a dinosaur pc (This drive has 262k reallocated sectors, if that could be a contributing factor).
GPU: MSI Gaming X 2070 Super
PSU: Corsair Gold 750W
Chassis: Some ancient antec case.

I did indeed update my BIOS. I've reinstalled my chipset, audio, bluetooth, wifi, and probably some other drivers I can't think of in the past. I'll try the USB drivers though, I don't think I did those.
Edit: all USB drivers are up to date.

Last edited: