[SOLVED] Weird fan noise

Aug 16, 2021
So I have a gigabyte rtx 2060 windforce and it makes a buzzing noise when the fan speed is between 75-85% the card is about 2 and a half month old . Could it be from dust? What should i do rma it? Pc Specs: i5 10400f , B560 gigabyte ds3h ac patriot viper 8x2 3200mhz ram 980 m.2 nvme 256gb coolermaster mb511 tg coolermaster elite 600w v4

Last edited:
Solution
Hello,

It will be great if you post your full system specs, with brand and model of every component. Also tell us if the RTX 2060 was a brand new card, or used one.

What you hear, could just be some coil whine or some old and/or dirty fan (or both).

Did you build this PC yourself?

If you did then I would start by making sure the noise is not coming from any case fan, CPU fan and/or the PSU fan.

I would start by unplugging the case fans one by one, keep the side panel open and hear if the noise still there.

From what its shown on the video, if you know how to do it carefully, the PC could use a cleaning.

My PC had coil whine since day 1, and usually is nothing to worry about (In my case Im 99.99% sure is comin from the...
Hello,

It will be great if you post your full system specs, with brand and model of every component. Also tell us if the RTX 2060 was a brand new card, or used one.

What you hear, could just be some coil whine or some old and/or dirty fan (or both).

If you did then I would start by making sure the noise is not coming from any case fan, CPU fan and/or the PSU fan.

I would start by unplugging the case fans one by one, keep the side panel open and hear if the noise still there.

From what its shown on the video, if you know how to do it carefully, the PC could use a cleaning.

My PC had coil whine since day 1, and usually is nothing to worry about (In my case Im 99.99% sure is comin from the motherboard). But is not a bad idea to check this stuff. If you have no idea how to do this kind of testing, I suggest you send it to a PC technician.

Solution
Aug 16, 2021
Hello,

My PC had coil whine since day 1, and usually is nothing to worry about (In my case Im 99.99% sure is comin from the motherboard). But is not a bad idea to check this stuff. If you have no idea how to do this kind of testing, I suggest you send it to a PC technician.

The card was brand new , i edited the thread with the specs, I think it is not any case or cpu fan because it happens only when the card fan speed is between 75-85% , I also saw some videos and post with the same noise with the exact same gpu
Also the sound isn't there as i starup the pc it only makes the noise when i play a game for 5 mins or use the gpu

Last edited:
The card was brand new , i edited the thread with the specs, I think it is not any case or cpu fan because it happens only when the card fan speed is between 75-85% , I also saw some videos and post with the same noise with the exact same gpu
Also the sound isn't there as i starup the pc it only makes the noise when i play a game for 5 mins or use the gpu

When the GPU fans spin up that high its because they are trying to keep your GPU (which is under a heavy workload) cool, and so probably the whole system is working hard trying to render the game on the screen for you to play. So it could happend that also CPU and/or case fans also spin up to keep the system cold.

Anyways, I would check the other fans first, and then I will make very sure the noise is not coming from your PSU. Im not an expert but that Cooler Master unit seem to be not the best and could be having a hard time giving power to your new GPU. (Here is the PSU tier list: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/psucultists-psu-tier-list-rev-14-8-12-07-2021.3624094/, I believe yours is in Tier E, then again Im not an expert).

Lets wait for someone else to share thier opinions there are really amazing and smart people here that may have another point of view.

Cheers!

Reactions: Mostafa Hatem
Aug 16, 2021
When the GPU fans spin up that high its because they are trying to keep your GPU (which is under a heavy workload) cool, and so probably the whole system is working hard trying to render the game on the screen for you to play. So it could happend that also CPU and/or case fans also spin up to keep the system cold.

Anyways, I would check the other fans first, and then I will make very sure the noise is not coming from your PSU. Im not an expert but that Cooler Master unit seem to be not the best and could be having a hard time giving power to your new GPU. (Here is the PSU tier list: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/psucultists-psu-tier-list-rev-14-8-12-07-2021.3624094/, I believe yours is in Tier E, then again Im not an expert).

Lets wait for someone else to share thier opinions there are really amazing and smart people here that may have another point of view.

Cheers!
even when nothing is running in the background and i turn up the fan speed using msi afterfurner it makes the sound so i am sure it is the gpu

even when nothing is running in the background and i turn up the fan speed using msi afterfurner it makes the sound so i am sure it is the gpu

Oh I see, then from my humble point of view you may have: 1. a defective gpu fan, or 2. theres a loose cable hitting the fan blades.

If you know how to do it, you can remove the GPU from your case and take a closer look to the gpu fans, if you see a cable near the blades then that may be the culprit.

Aug 16, 2021
Oh I see, then from my humble point of view you may have: 1. a defective gpu fan, or 2. theres a loose cable hitting the fan blades.

If you know how to do it, you can remove the GPU from your case and take a closer look to the gpu fans, if you see a cable near the blades then that may be the culprit.

I will try it later , but what suprise me is that it doesnt make that noise on startup

No i mean when i start my pc and make the fan speed 75-85% it doesn't make the sound but after like opening a game or even open my browser and then make the fan speed between 75-85% it starts making that sound

Well, first make sure theres no cable hitting the fan blades, and then I would probably try to isolate the noise and be pretty sure is coming from the GPU, and not from the motherboard, or the PSU itself.

And as we mention, you should probably get a better PSU.

Then again, coil whine alone is not always a bad sign, many electronics have coil whine and can work without uissues. But considering your PSU seems to be on the very lower end of quality I would look at that first.

Aug 16, 2021
Well, first make sure theres no cable hitting the fan blades, and then I would probably try to isolate the noise and be pretty sure is coming from the GPU, and not from the motherboard, or the PSU itself.

And as we mention, you should probably get a better PSU.

Then again, coil whine alone is not always a bad sign, many electronics have coil whine and can work without uissues. But considering your PSU seems to be on the very lower end of quality I would look at that first.
I will try another psu but what makes me think that it is the gpu is that i found this video with comments of the same problem
View: https://youtu.be/nINDH69cWEY

Aug 16, 2021
Well theres not much more I can tell you from here, without having the GPU nor the PC in front of me. Nothing wrong with sending your GPU back and asking for a new one!
I will do this but it is a one hour to the place where i bought it so i was asking before i go if anything i could do
and thank you for your help

I will do this but it is a one hour to the place where i bought it so i was asking before i go if anything i could do
and thank you for your help

As I wrote before, if you can't see any cables hitting the blades, and considering that youtube video you posted, then I guess its better to send it back.

Please, if you can, lets us know how it goes and what was the final fix, thanks!

Aug 16, 2021
As I wrote before, if you can't see any cables hitting the blades, and considering that youtube video you posted, then I guess its better to send it back.

Please, if you can, lets us know how it goes and what was the final fix, thanks!
I am going on wednesday or thursday i wil tell you after that and thank you for the help

Reactions: RodroX