Question Weird flash coming from motherboard when turning on PSU

Sep 26, 2019
I'm building my first PC and after being done I decided to take it for a test drive.
When turning on my PSU I noticed this flash at the left top side of my motherboard. When pressing the power button everything boots up fine. There's also no burning smell. I've uploaded a gif to show you what it looks like.

How screwed am I?

https://giphy.com/gifs/ZFtXLkkiKWXvM4xdeA

Motherboard: gigabyte aorus x570 elite

I'm building my first PC and after being done I decided to take it for a test drive.
When turning on my PSU I noticed this flash at the left top side of my motherboard. When pressing the power button everything boots up fine. There's also no burning smell. I've uploaded a gif to show you what it looks like.

How screwed am I?

https://giphy.com/gifs/ZFtXLkkiKWXvM4xdeA

Motherboard: gigabyte aorus x570 elite
Shut down, take motherboard out of case. Look for burnt/black marks on the bottom tray and motherboard.

It's possible the motherboard is shorting against something on the bottom side.

You should 'bench test' the system, with motherboard not installed in the case.

When you say "turning on your PSU" you mean the switch on the back correct?

That could be the arcing from the switch.....although it is a VERY bright arcing....which to me indicates a poorly designed switch.

If it were something else....I would expect a burning smell.....although not necessarily.

....but being it's running OK....I would leave the switch on (probably permanently as I usually have no reason to shut it off).

^^^^That's if the flash seems to be coming from the PSU.

If it's coming from the motherboard itself....I would be concerned and I would try to localize it. Could it possibly be an LED flashing once?

Sep 26, 2019
When you say "turning on your PSU" you mean the switch on the back correct?

That could be the arcing from the switch.....although it is a VERY bright arcing....which to me indicates a poorly designed switch.

If it were something else....I would expect a burning smell.....although not necessarily.

....but being it's running OK....I would leave the switch on (probably permanently as I usually have no reason to shut it off).

^^^^That's if the flash seems to be coming from the PSU.

If it's coming from the motherboard itself....I would be concerned and I would try to localize it. Could it possibly be an LED flashing once?

Yes I'm talking about the back switch.