Question Weird FPS issue using an external monitor on laptop ?

Jul 7, 2022
My laptop is Dell G15 5510 with an LG 24EA53 external monitor connected to it. The monitor is plugged into my laptop using a quality HDMI cable. My laptop is on the side of my desk, whilst the external monitor is on the top of my desk. My laptop's screen is smaller so I want to use the external monitor as my primary display.
Now here comes the issue: when I set the external monitor as primary display in the "Display Settings" it automatically caps to 32fps. Exactly 32. I have no idea why.

When I set my laptop's screen to primary the system is back to 60fps. And so I left my laptop screen as primary and selected "Extend these displays" in the "Display Settings" so I can watch and play stuff on my external monitor by dragging them from the laptop's screen. But sometimes it's not enough, as some game windows get stuck on the primary screen without it being possible to move it to another screen by dragging or using Win+Shift+arrow_keys. The only solution to this problem was playing the game in windowed mode, which isn't great, especially if a game hasn't got a borderless window mode.

I tried forcing borderless window mode, but it ended up being again stuck only on the primary display, as if it was normal fullscreen mode (the exemplary game is theHunter Call of The Wild). I have tried changing the refresh rate in "Display settings" in many different ways. It's set to 60Hz on both my laptop's screen and on external monitor. I am clueless and extremely frustrated. I've struggled with this issue for months, but yesterday something absolutely abnormal happened, as suddenly my system was working in 60fps instead of 32fps, even though my external monitor was set to primary. Unfortunately out of the blue the screen flickered today, as if I was messing with display settings, and it switched back 32fps.

I was able to play a video game yesterday in 60fps with my secondary monitor as primary, but today it's back to 32fps. How do I fix this issue? I see no reason for my secondary monitor to not be able to work in 60fps, other than it being much older than my laptop, but yesterday showed that it absolutely can work in 60fps, even if set as primary (note: on my previous PC I didn't have this issue at all, 60fps was a given, though I used only one screen). Please help...
(note: I checked my fps on testufo.com)

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

First see if your laptop is pending any BIOS updates. Then check to see if your OS is pending any updates, then use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers, then manually reinstall your GPU driver with the latest version in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Try and install the driver listed in their portal, here;
https://www.lg.com/us/support/product/lg-24EA53V-P.AUS
under compatibility mode, i.e, Device Manager>Monitors>Right click>Properties>Update driver>Browse my computer for drivers>locate to the contents of the extracted rar file and then apply.

Jul 7, 2022
Thanks for your reply. I updated my bios and updated everything driver related that Dell's website recommended. Then I decided to omit using DDU, because I'm afraid of screwing something up with uninstalling drivers. I then installed the "Dual Smart Solution for EA53" from the link you listed (without installing the "24EA53 Win8 driver" because I thought installing a win8 driver on win10 doesn't make sense). I restarted my PC after installing this "Dual Smart Solution for EA53" and suddenly... My secondary monitor was working in 60fps when it was set as primary. I was shocked and decided to investigate, and I found out that now the issue is reverted. Now when I set my laptop's screen as primary it caps at 32fps, but when the secondary monitor is set as primary it caps at 60fps - just the opposite as before. I don't mind my laptop's screen working in 32fps when using two screen so it's all good now!!! What matters is that the screen I watch stuff and play games on works in 60fps. This "solution" is so random that I'm afraid it'll revert back to normal after a while but for now I'm glad, and grateful.
Thank you very much