Question Weird fps problems with RTX 4070

Aug 15, 2024
Hey guys,

Im stumped and have tried scowering the internet for information, yet with no avail.
About 6-12 months ago, i built myself a new pc.

Specs:

The Gigabyte B650 AORUS Elite AX
Ryzen 7800x3D
Rtx 4070 Not overclocked.
32g 6000 MT/s RAM with a CL of 30 or 32, dont exactly remember.
850w pure power from be quiet.
Couple of m.2 drives.
WIN11

Ive been having some issues with it. They feel minor, but ofcourse im kinda worried about it.
Every now and then my GPU performance tanks, massively. I go from a solid 144 fps, to barely hitting 60 fps. Meanwhile the gpu is running at a few percent, yet the 3d part in task manager is full on active.
My cpu is then also running at about 40 percent, no throttling on any of the cores etc.
Memory also, nothing out the ordinary there.

This isnt on any high demanding games either. I barely play triple A games at all.

The weird part is, my fans are ramping up like the pc is doing heavy lifting. Yet if i look at coretemp, also everything is well below hot. sitting at about 60-70 degrees celsius. The same goes for the gpu, doesnt run hot at all.

When i reboot my pc, the problem is gone. It just performs back to normal and as long as i keep using it nothing bad will happen. Yet if i step away from my pc for a half an hour or more and come back, 50/50 chance my performance just takes a tanking.

Ive changed all power settings to never enter sleep mode. Ive turned of standby and quick boot etc. These have had no impact whatsoever.

It feels like something is driving my gpu to go mental and a fresh boot calms it down.

Does anyone have any supsision what this might be? It is absolutely driving me crazy.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin.

Aug 15, 2024
Immediate suspicion would be malware that is using your GPU for mining when the system is idle. Run anti-malware bytes as a quick check.
Will do this immediatly! ill post the results. Its done allready, no malicious threats have been found. I also never download or install anything i havent officially bought. But doesnt hurt to check!

Aug 15, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

32g 6000 MT/s RAM with a CL of 30 or 32, dont exactly remember.
Can you pass on a link to the ram kit?

What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? Make and model of your case?
Thanks for the reply, i looked it up.

The ram kit is the G.Skill DDR5 Flare X5 2x16GB 6000 CL30 2x16gb.

The case that i bought is the Fractal design Torrent compact Black.

BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends International, LLC. FA3a, 06/02/2024

Its the FA3a bios version for the aorus b650 elite AX

If it helps if i provide more info, let me know!

Thanks for thinking with me.