weird freezes in all games

SavageOwl69

Reputable
Apr 23, 2014
Hey my specs are as follows: Asus dc2oc GTX 780, Asus maximus vii formula, 16gb corsair dominator ram, i7-4790k, samsung 840 evo 240gb ssd, 2tb western digital green. and my OS is windows 8.1

This happens in every game i play. i play them fine always at 60fps but maybe every 2-4 min there is a freeze on the screen for like 1 second then it goes back to 60

now i have downloaded all the latest drivers for my gpu and such and even disabled audio from the gpu as some has said it could be from that.

I dont know if this could be the problem but i have all my games installed to the HDD i know its a slow HDD so could that be the problem?

Solution
Hi there,

Some freezes could be caused by the HDD, though this is not always the case.
WD Green is not really designed to be used as a gaming drive due to its power saving characteristics. So, if you want to play a heavy game on it, you may not get the best performance.
You can start the troubleshooting process with testing the drive with WD's DLG tool in order to see whether the HDD is healthy. If the HDD turns out to be OK, you can just install the same game on the SSD and see whether you will get the same FPS drops. If yes, then you will have to troubleshoot the other components of your system. If you experience no FPS drops while running the game on the SSD, then you will know for sure that the WD Green is causing the issue.

WD's...
Hi there,

Some freezes could be caused by the HDD, though this is not always the case.
WD Green is not really designed to be used as a gaming drive due to its power saving characteristics. So, if you want to play a heavy game on it, you may not get the best performance.
You can start the troubleshooting process with testing the drive with WD's DLG tool in order to see whether the HDD is healthy. If the HDD turns out to be OK, you can just install the same game on the SSD and see whether you will get the same FPS drops. If yes, then you will have to troubleshoot the other components of your system. If you experience no FPS drops while running the game on the SSD, then you will know for sure that the WD Green is causing the issue.

WD's DLG tool: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=cm5O3A

Cheers,
D_Know_WD

Solution