Question Weird freezes

Apr 30, 2019
Just got a new PC like 3 weeks ago and had problems with gpu (1080ti). I was getting artifacts and random freezes with benchmarks and games. Sometimes it would freeze, sometimes it wouldnt. I thought it wasnt a GPU issue so i tested it in another PC and had similiar problems so i just RMAd it. While waiting for repaired gpu i put in my old gtx770. GPU has no problems, works really good but yesterday something weird happened. After playing a game for like 2-3hours my screen froze and i had to reset my PC. After resetting, PC couldnt find my GPU so i tested if everything works with integrated graphics and everything was all right. Then i powered off my PC, took out gpu and put it back in and magically everything works fine. Event handler just tells me that was kernel power issue but i think its pretty normal when i had to shut down frozen pc.

PSU: be quiet! straight power11
CPU: i5 9600k
MOBO: z390 gaming edge ac
RAM: corsair vengeance lpx 3000mhz cl15 (tested with 16 mem86 passes)

Any idea what the hell happened?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
This could be a vast variety of things. The Kernel Power is just a general error when power is cut off either from direct power outlet or from a hard reset - it doesn't really hold any indicator over what happened.

There are lots of questions that would probably need to be answered here like, what temperatures you were reaching, what drivers were installed, what BIOS you might have etc etc. There are tests you could do, but there's no point going through the hassle if we're not 100% sure that there is an underlying problem.

So frankly IMO, enable dump files so that you can get a dump if any critical occurs (I.e. BSOD) if it happens again, then feedback what happened. If it doesn't happen again, then don't fix what isn't broken! But it could just as well be a faulty driver somewhere. Either way, hopefully it doesn't happen again (y)

Reactions: Wokoren
Apr 30, 2019
The problem is my temperatures are normal (60-70 cpu, 70-75 gpu both stressed) and never got any BSOD, only freezes ;/ Reinstalled gpu drives +/- 10 times because of 1080ti and now running on 425.31.
Thank you for helping.

#edit
I already have dump files enabled, what to do with them?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
They are a mechanism of identifying the causes of crashes (usually BSOD). If you have them, they'll be in a dump file on your system root folder.

If you ever have a crash and a memory dump is created, you debug them and analyse them to try and identify the cause of the crash.