Discussion Weird freezes

blacknemesist

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2012
Hello.

I have a AM5 7700X, 2x16 CL32@6000mhz Kingston Fury, Asus Rog Strix OC 4090, Asus Prime x670e-pro wifi, Corsair HX1200W, Samsung 980 Pro 1tb + 2tb Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm.

This system previously had the same problem it is having now and had the PSU, GPU and mobo replaced but the issue is still present.

The issue itself only happens during games(never noticed it in videos) and it basically freezes the image, drops GPU usage to nothing together with core and mem clock but the system not only DOES NOT crack or BSOD, I can even move the mouse cursor with no lag input. This freeze happens for 1-2 seconds and it is hard to reproduce, sometimes it happens in 20min of playing other times it takes 3 hours. This happens with Diablo 3 and They are Billions.
In Diablo 3 I had a system with 5600X 16gb ram and a 1660ti run it for hours while my main PC was being looked at and tested and never got a single freeze or stutter, absolutely nothing. As for They are billions it has the same freeze on both machines but it could be a game engine limitation.
To see the mouse moving in the video below you might need to slow the video down as it is hard to see because there is so much on the screen.

Due to how many issues I had with my main PC I barely got time to use it, it spend more time in the shop with various problems namely a noisy cooler, irresponsive fans and manual fan control failures than with me so I didn't have a recent AAA tested.

The system also has this odd behavior of wanting me to set G-Sync when my monitor wakes up which never happen in the other machine(could be drivers or nvidia control panel or monitor dying). On my main PC when the monitor wakes up I get the same sound cue as if I plugged in something like an external drive, charging phone, BT adapter, etc.

The issue looks like this :
video 1 : https://1drv.ms/v/s!AlKGiJh8aP_vi2HUJbzvSykBdtiC?e=BdXdWb (at around 0:08)
video 2 : https://1drv.ms/v/s!AlKGiJh8aP_vi2CQT6A1KA7vd7Q5?e=Eeks6e (at around 0:50)

Currently I am running with base clocks on my ram(4800mhz) due to SoC voltage being very high with DOCP activated but the issue happened with DOCP enabled and SoC voltage 1.35v-1.4v(according do HWinfo86).

Does anyone has had any of this sort of issue before or any leads to what it could be?

I would update the BIOS to the latest non-beta version. When you put windows on the PC did you do a clean install or did you pull a drive with windows on it already and install it into the new PC? I have played both of those games recently on a 5800x3d and a 3080 and do not recall having such issues. Did you build the PC yourself?

As far as;
"The system also has this odd behavior of wanting me to set G-Sync when my monitor wakes up which never happen in the other machine(could be drivers or nvidia control panel or monitor dying). On my main PC when the monitor wakes up I get the same sound cue as if I plugged in something like an external drive, charging phone, BT adapter, etc."

I would check the cables from the PC to the Monitor and make sure there is nothing pressing or pulling on the cables where they connect to the ports. I have had this sort of issue before where my monitor would disconnect and reconnect followed by the windows audio cue. You could also try changing to a different cable. Cables can be bad, or go bad over time.

blacknemesist

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2012
They were all clean windows installs.
I did not build the system, the store did.
The cable from the monitor is loose and I have replace it with others and the issue is still there. Those same cable work without an issue on another monitor aswell but as I said the monitor is dying since August last year so it may have reached a point that waking up from sleep is interfering with the G-Sync module so it might not be immediately recognized as the same device it was connect before, it happens on both PCs on DP@144hz but not via HDMI@60hz.

They were all clean windows installs.
I did not build the system, the store did.
The cable from the monitor is loose and I have replace it with others and the issue is still there. Those same cable work without an issue on another monitor aswell but as I said the monitor is dying since August last year so it may have reached a point that waking up from sleep is interfering with the G-Sync module so it might not be immediately recognized as the same device it was connect before, it happens on both PCs on DP@144hz but not via HDMI@60hz.
The port on the Monitor may just be loose. Sometimes you can tighten the ports with a screw driver. I would look into fixing the port if its not too much of a hassle, unless you want a new monitor as well. If you purchased this from the store and are having difficulties with it, I would return it if you still can. Those issues you are experiencing should not be happening. In They Are Billions, if what you are experiencing is game slowdown then I would say its the game engine having issues not the PC.

blacknemesist

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2012
The monitor is 5,5 years old at this point and I already have another monitor coming for 4k anyways.
The reason I say the monitor is dying is because horizontal scanlines are getting worst and worst, it started only on the bottom left of the panel but right now they cover the entire screen and are really noticeable, even dropping to 60hz does not remove them.
I mentioned the monitor just because it behavior could be a consequence of something else and could help pin-point the freeze issue but it may (most likely) be completely unrelated as the image does not go away and the mouse cursor can move freely.

I'll look into a way to externally tighten them when I can unmount the monitor from it's stand.