Question Weird freezing/instability issue in custom pc, any help appreciated

Jul 31, 2021
I built my first custom pc a few months ago, but I have been having a really weird issue with it lately.
My pc sort of randomly starts to slow down, I can interact with certain things (minimizing and maximising tabs, pausing videos, clicking some buttons) at the start, however I start to lose all function in the pc. Can't open applications, new Chrome tabs, even open task manager or shut down/restart/sleep my pc. The only thing I can do is turn my pc off at the power button, turn it back on, and the issue goes away.

I've been trying different things to see what might be wrong or fix the issue. I have tried:
  • Switching out my RAM
  • Adding more RAM
  • Running a windows memory diagnostic
  • Running a windows disk check
  • Running a windows virus check
  • Running a third party malware check (MalwareBytes)
  • Pulling back a GPU overclock
  • Uninstalling weird/unused software (Valorant was reporting 1.22 TB used on 1 TB ssd in windows add or remove program screen? , View: https://imgur.com/W2Px50h
    really * image [Moderator edit to remove profanity. Remember that this is a family friendly Forum.]
  • but you can make out the 1.22 TB number)
  • Re-installing NVIDIA drivers
  • Checking system temperatures
All of the diagnostics I have run have come up with nothing. No RAM issues, no ssd issues, no malware or viruses found. Switching out RAM and pulling back my overclock didn't fix the issue, and I didn't find any abnormal CPU or GPU temperatures. Uninstalling dodgy and unused software hasn't helped either.
I was able to get a look at task manager the last time this issue happened, and the usage of my GPU was insane. View: https://imgur.com/bGs5mrh
You can't see in the screenshot, but I think the programs with high GPU usage were Spotify, Discord and Visual Studio Code. I'm not sure if this could be an issue with my GPU though, as this issue has never happened while in game.
Does anybody have any clue what could be causing this issue? I've tried everything I could think of and everything I've found online and the issue is still persisting. Any help on what may be causing this issue and how I could fix it is greatly appreciated.

These are my specs:
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WIFI Motherboard
  • MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X
  • 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
  • Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240R AIO
  • Cooler Master MWE 650W 80+ Gold PSU
  • 1 TB Crucial M.2 NVME SSD
  • 256 GB M.2 SATA SSD (dunno what brand, took it out of an old Dell laptop)
  • Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
  • 6x Cooler Master 120mm RGB Fans

Last edited by a moderator:

Ralston18

Titan
PSU: Cooler Master MWE 650W 80+ Gold PSU

How old? Heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even bit-mining?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that correspond with the slow downs.

Likewise use Task Manager and Resource Monitor (use both but only one at a time) to observe system performance. Open as admin.

Process Explorer (Microsoft, free) may also prove helpful.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Determine what resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource when the system slows.

Disk drives - how full?

Just be methodical and watch carefully. The graphical representations in Resource Monitor may help narrow down the source/reason for the slowdowns.

Overall, the PSU may not be up to or no longer up to being able to provide the power demands of your pc.

Provided I correctly identified the GPU the recommended PSU wattage for the GPU alone is 550 watts.

Reference:

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-Card/GeForce-RTX-3060-GAMING-X-12G/Specification

Jul 31, 2021
The PSU is fairly new, as are the rest of the components. I bought them from a retailer when I built the pc a few months ago. I've been using it for gaming and general purpose. Looking at HWiNFO64, my GPU is only ever using a maximum of 170W in heavy gaming, and I haven't experienced the issue while gaming, so I'm not sure the PSU capacity is the issue. My main drive and secondary drive both have 200 GB free. Is there anything else that could be causing this?