Weird GF2 MX100/200 problem

G

Ok, i have an athlon xp 1900+ and a GF2 Mx100/200 in my machine and i get very low 3dmark 2001SE scores, like 800-900. I know the card is crap, by on another computer with athlon 1200 and mx400 i get 2400, so i figure i could get atleast 1500+ scores (or?)

and the weird problem is that in display properties/advanced, there is usually a tab named Nvidia [Card name], and you see some info about your card. My tab however says Nvidia (unknown), and the info about the card (gpu type etc.) is blank.

Tried to reinstall both newest drivers and older ones without success.

Also when i install the detonator drivers, i have to manually select my card in display properties after the driver installation reboots my computer.

Any idea on what the heck i'm talking about, and what the problem is?

Oh, i have windows 2000 (fresh, clean install) btw.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Eriknilsson on 06/03/02 02:43 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

dttdar

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2002
Here's a little bottleneck knowledge (i'm just pulling numbers from the air). Think about a small water hose, and there's a pump trying to pump 30 gallons of water a second through the hose; no doubt, the hose would be a bottleneck. Now think about another pump trying to pump 60 gallons of water a second through that same hose. Not only would an even larger bottleneck be created but the hose might explode which would make the second situation worse then the first.

Now replace an atlon 1200 with the first pump and the XP1900 with the second pump. The GF2 MX is the hose making it your bottleneck.

I hope that makes sense.

p.s. Your also gonna need some 7x Detonator drivers with that GF2 because those drivers are more optimized for that card.

----------------
sorry, but I'm still stuck in the Pentium III world<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by dttdar on 06/03/02 01:57 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
And to add on to the last reply. When you try to use that it builds up pressure and exploads. Sadly i don't think we're gonna get rid of old cards that way-( too bad the analogy doesnt hold true all the way.

Solution to sad sad 3d performance: buy a Geforce 3 TI 200 or Geforce 4 TI card. Or, if your one of them and by that i mean not like me, you might consider a Radeon 8500.

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out

dttdar

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2002
lol...i hope he doesn't think his GF2 is gonna explode. I should of mentioned something about that...lol

----------------
sorry, but I'm still stuck in the Pentium III world

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
I wish it would-) Must....rid....world....of....crappy....grpahics....cards....

And that thing about drivers is correct, should use 6x to 14x drivers with that card.

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out

G

Ok, thanks for the input, but my problem persists, take a look at this:
http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/02q2/020418/vgacharts-05.html
the test machine has a similar setup to mine (slightly better)

the crappiest gf2mx scores 2300+ in 3dmark 2001, heck even the tnt2 scores 1600

so why in gods name do i get 900??? i should at the very least score similar to a TNT2

and don't worry, i'm pretty sure my card wont blow up (but if i can't solve this problem soon i think i will blow it up myself =))

and about the drivers, i use 23.11 now cause i read at the guru3d forums that those were the best/most stable drivers for my card, but they still don't detect my card correctly, the nvidia tab now says NV??, and there is another tab (forgot name) wich lists "gpu id string" (or something similar) that says "TNT2", what the heck is going on?

dttdar

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2002
buy a ti4200 and all your problems will be solved :smile: .

----------------
sorry, but I'm still stuck in the Pentium III world

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Are you kidding me? The TNT2 has twice the memory bandwidth of the GeForce2 MX200. The MX400 has the same memory bandwith as the TNT2 but twice the power! Your card sux, it's lame, that's the whole story.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?