Weird GPU/monitor problems. Something is killing my GPUs?

lakiticni

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Hello everyone, and sorry for the wall of text that is my post (tl;dr included). I tried to explain the problem as best as I could. Also, I have already googled (a lot) about my problem and tried the possible solutions without success.

System:
Motherboard: MSI H87-G43
Processor: Intel i5-4460 with Intel HD 4600
PSU: Seasonic SS-520-GM2 (M12II-520Bronze)
RAM: Corsair VS CMV4GX3M1A1600C11 2x 4GB
HDD: 500GB Toshiba, can't remember the exact model
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II 240GB
Old GPU: Sapphire Dual-X R9 270X
New GPU: Asus Expedition Radeon RX570
Windows 10 with latest updates.

Edit 2: Updated in an attempt to explain it in a less of a wall-of-text manner. Spoiler contains old text for the curious reader.

2 monitors. Browser on 60Hz monitor (Samsung SyncMaster 2243sn), Overwatch on 144Hz monitor (Asus VG248QE).
Everything was working fine on older AMD driver version (17.12.1). I could watch a video on one monitor, play a game on the other, or doing whatever else I felt like at the time, without any problems like screen tearing or artifacts and whatever else. A few days after I updated driver that was, at that time, the latest, which was 18.something, my PC started having GPU problems.

Opened Twitch in browser, and GPU (R9 270x) went crazy. Image was switching between green-white lines and game render. Then the screen went black and PC did not respond to input. Had to shut down on power button. After starting it back up, black screen. Couldn't get it to show anything, so I bought a new GPU (RX 570).

New GPU worked for three days, then went out in the same manner as the old one, with green-white lines, and then black screen. PC not responding to input again, but the last sound is being repeated over and over. Then the sound stopped, and I shut the PC down on the power button. Afterwards, PC wouldn't start at all if RX 570 was installed on motherboard. Checked the new GPU in another PC, that one wouldn't start either when the GPU is installed.

So I went and reset motherboard BIOS by taking out CMOS battery for a minute or two. Still nothing with new GPU, but old GPU now showed image with artifacts (greenish pixelated image in two parts of the screen). I guessed that I shouldn't use that old GPU since it seemed like it is dying, so I switched to on-board Intel HD 4600.

HD 4600 worked fine, untill I opened a YouTube video, where it started going wild with those green-white lines. I closed YouTube, and the image stabilized.

I am wondering could it be the 144Hz Asus monitor that causes problems? Or is it the PSU that is going bad, or not having enough juice for new GPU after 4 years of use? Maybe a motherboard issue or the RX570 was just a bad piece that died quickly? (Check posts below for more info)

BEGIN TL;DR;
I had a GPU problem on dual monitor (60Hz and 144Hz) setup, which caused my PC to not be able to boot properly (black screen, CPU and GPU fans spinning). WOW, is my old GPU dying? Thought I should get a new GPU, bought one. It seems to have completely died to same symptoms after ~12 hours of use on dual monitors. 2 PCs will not boot if using the new GPU and the Seasonic PSU which is the only PSU I have that can power the new GPU. Turns out old GPU is not dead yet, but has artifacts, so I switched to on-board Intel 4600 graphics. On-board graphics had the same problem that killed new GPU when used with 144Hz monitor limited to 60Hz, but is still alive. Can it be the monitor that kills my GPUs? Or is it the PSU? Maybe a motherboaed issue or something else?
END TL;DR;

I've had the Sapphire card for approximately 4 years, working without a problem. About a month ago, I have bought a new monitor (Asus VG248QE, 144Hz), and started using it in dual monitor setup with my old monitor (Samsung SyncMaster 2243sn, 60Hz). Everything was going smoothly, gaming on Asus, and when having downtime in a game (longer loading, looking for match, etc) browsing the internet on Samsung. It was all well on an older AMD driver version (i think it was 17.12.1).

Then, I've decided that I should update the driver, since the version I had was released a few months ago. Everything was still good, until one day, I've had Overwatch running, and as I've waited for an afk friend to come back, I went to Twitch. As the web page loaded and a video started on autoplay, both screens started flickering with vertical, slim, green and white stripes, so I quickly closed Twitch and the screens stopped flickering. This was not my first time playing a video on Twitch (or YouTube) during a game since the driver update, but previous attempts went without a problem.

After the incident, when my friend returned, he and I went into a match in Overwatch. Everything was smooth, and then suddenly both screens flickered with those same lines and then went black. I could hear the sound (game, discord voice chat), but the PC could not receive any input. It continued for a minute or two, and I had to press and hold the power button for a few seconds to turn off the PC. After successfuly turning the PC off, it would pass the motherboard logo screen when booting up, and then just a black screen. Then I restarted it again, and it booted into Windows 10 troubleshooting menu (the one you get with shift+restart in start menu). Through the menu, I went to BIOS (while old GPU was in the PC, I could not enter it by usual way, pressing Delete when on motherboard logo screen, keyboard seemed to not be recognized during boot).

In BIOS, I've reset the configuration to default (haven't changed much though, most settings were already default), saved and rebooted. Then the PC got stuck on motherboard logo, and on the screen were visible pixelated, greenish, vertical artifact lines (one in the center of the screen, one on the right side). I waited for a bit to see if the boot process might continue, but it just stood frozen, so I've restarted the PC again. This time there was only a black screen, not even the motherboard logo, CPU and GPU fans were spinning, but not at max speed. After another PC restart, I decided to let it stay overnight since it was already late. The next day, same black screen, and fans spinning.

Then I went and bought the Asus RX570. Replaced the Sapphire, system booted without a problem. During driver installation, the same thing - screen went black, and PC received no input. I've shut it down on the power button again, turned it on, booted without a problem, no drivers installed, so I ran the installation again, which was successful, and everything worked smoothly. I had Asus GPU Tweak II open on Samsung monitor to check on GPU while I played games on Asus. While a game and a browser (Firefox) are running, GPU clock jumped to at least 700MHz when games are focused, and quickly fell down to 300-400MHz when browser was focused, even though the game and browser were maximized on different screens. (Not sure if that is an indication of something bad). New GPU was used for approximately 12 hours over 3 days, without heating over 50 degrees (or at least that is what GPU Tweak showed).

Then, during a game of OW, suddenly those slim, vertical, flickering lines again, and then a black screen, and the last sounds repeating over and over. PC could not receive any input again. I've waited a few minutes again, and as it didn't stop, I've had to shut down the PC by holding the power button a few seconds. After that, the PC does not even turn on when new GPU is installed. White led indicator still lights up when new GPU is properly connected. When new GPU was installed in another PC, the same thing, nothing happens when I press the power button. (I had to use the same Seasonic PSU in that PC, since the one it uses regularly is not strong enough to power a RX570)

Currently, I am using Intel on-board graphics. What was interesting to me, is that if I used it with Asus monitor (limited to 60Hz, since Intel 4600 graphics do not allow me to run more than 60Hz), I had the same black screen + no input problem when watching an online video (this time it was YouTube).

So now I am back to using my old Samsung monitor, with Intel on-board graphics, looking for solutions to my problem. I am wondering could it be the 144Hz Asus monitor that causes problems? Or is it the PSU that is going bad, or not having enough juice for new GPU after 4 years of use? Maybe a motherboard issue or the RX570 was just a bad piece that died quickly? Another interesting thing (see edit below) is that when using my old GPU (Sapphire R9 290X), PC will now boot properly, but with those greenish pixelated artifact lines in the center and right side of the screen. The RX570 was connected properly to PSU, or at least I think so (white led glowing, red led off).

Also, I've tried installing new GPU in the second PCI-E slot on motherboard, which yielded the same results, and another old GPU (Radeon 7770), with it PC started without a problem. Haven't run a game/video on 7770 because I didn't want to risk killing that one too, since a family member is using it.

I don't want to try replacing my new GPU yet and risk having the replacement die too, so I am trying to narrow the problem down first. I will do a clean install of Windows too, since now I get the black screen during driver installation with the mentioned older Radeon cards (7770 and R9 270x), no matter the driver version.

Edit: Forgot to say that I also did another BIOS reset by taking out CMOS battery. Only after that would the PC start with old GPU installed.

TheRacoon

Prominent
Jul 29, 2017
it seems like your powersupply or Mobo could be damaged and its zapping your gpus so get a older gpu like gt 8800 or something of that time
and switch out your psu if it still kills the card then you can swap your motherboard and try again

lakiticni

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Seems like the only way to go, although I wanted to avoid it somehow. I will report back with news when I do swap PSU, get an older GPU, and possibly swap the motherboard too.

Update 1:
I've found a used GTX660 yesterday, could not find anything older in a working state. Tested it today for about 5 hours with the SS-520-GM2 PSU on another older motherboard. No problems yet. I will keep trying to push it for the next two days since it was three days that my new GPU (RX 570) was working before it died. Then I will report further.

Update 2:
I've checked both the motherboard and the PSU in different builds, without GPU dying. Everything worked fine. Even the voltages on the three PSUs I've tested in those builds were fine.
I'm wondering what could it have been, that two GPUs died in a short time? Maybe an intermittent problem on motherboard? I think it shouldn't be something related to more "powerful" GPUs, because, as far as I know GTX660 is supposed to be at a similar level as R9 270x, or maybe better.

Maybe it was related to the driver update? A family member had BSOD problems when he updated AMD drivers.