[SOLVED] Weird Gpu Temps

hutchinson11133

Reputable
Mar 21, 2018
Hello!

I recently moved to a new house so I decided to do a deep clean to my computer.
I changed the thermal paste of my gpu (RX 580 8GB GIGABYTE), since I had not done it for a long time.
After putting everything back together, I opened a game and saw that my GPU temperature went up to around 85-90 degrees.
I Panic, then I took everything apart again, I cleaned well, I put it back together again, same temperature.
Add multiple fans in the case for better airflow, same temperature.
Change thermal paste again and replace Thermal Pads: same temperature
But this morning I came up with something that I hadn't done before: Touch the backplate of the gpu.
When I did this I noticed that my gpu was not hot as the graph indicated, I think it would be around 65-70 degrees maximum. The problem is that when displaying 80 degrees, the fans always run at 100 making an unbearable noise, but the temps never decrease.
When i'm not gaming, the temperatures are 29-30c.

I tried on Msi afterburner, NZTX CAM, GPU-Z, HWMONITOR, FURMARK3D.
I cleaned and change thermal paste like 5 times, I put a: pea size, rice size, i spread all the paste on the DIE. But nothing seems to work.
Before the first clean the maximum temperature I have reached was 75c while gaming.

I do not know what to do, I hope someone can help me!

Solution
The backplate would be colder than the GPU. But by how much I don't know.

If the temperature reading is wrong then it could be the temp sensor. It'd be the sort of thing wher you'd need to dismantle it again, clean it up again and get soemone else to look at it with a magnifying light. Even then you might not find the problem. To eliminate whether it's the card, try another GPU.

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
The backplate would be colder than the GPU. But by how much I don't know.

If the temperature reading is wrong then it could be the temp sensor. It'd be the sort of thing wher you'd need to dismantle it again, clean it up again and get soemone else to look at it with a magnifying light. Even then you might not find the problem. To eliminate whether it's the card, try another GPU.

Solution