Question Weird graphical issue

Apr 27, 2022
Good evening :)

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a particular pc issue? It's a weird one that has been going on for around 4 months now and nobody seems to know what is causing it, not even the shop that sold me the rig.

Ok so basically about four months ago I got a new mouse, it was a corsair scimitar elite. I plugged it into my PC and soon after I started to notice on Windows that when I moved icons or apps on the screen there would be like a 'trailing' or 'blurring' effect on the icon, same for the cursor, almost like it was lagging (I checked my windows settings and nothing like that was enabled). So I checked on my second PC before plugging the mouse in (in case it was a windows update that may have caused the issue) and it was normal, plugged the new mouse in and within minutes the same thing started to happen so I unplugged it and reconnected my usual mouse but just like my main PC, the issue didn't go away.

So when I play games there are micro stutters, motion blurring on names when players run past or i move past them (only happens on horizontal movement like strafing, vertical movement causes no issue) and if I move my cursor or turn the camera the motion blur happens again and I can see what seems like minor texture tear/distortion. I checked up and nothing has changed in terms of engines or graphics in general.

I have reformatted the PC multiple times, performed clean installs but the issue hasn't gone away. I've went through windows settings, nvidia settings, game settings and even compared them to friends to see if there were differences but nothing. So after contacting the shop we started slowly changing parts in the PC and in the end we have changed everything but sadly the issue is still there, it's basically a new PC at this point. The only things they didn't change for sure is the case and its cables + maybe other cables like PSU one or sata.

My main specs are:

Aorus 3080 Xtreme Revision 2.0 (it had 1.0 before).
Amd 5900x Asus x570 Dark Hero
Corsair Ram 3200Mhz - 32GB
Corsair Platinum 1200 Watt PSU

My old PC specs:

MSI 1080 Ti Gaming
Intel 6700k

I've tried multiple monitors and the only one that seemed to give any change was a 144hz 4k one (my usual monitor is a 60hz LG). I even tried it on a TV and no change.

The other weird thing I've noticed is the VRAM usage when under load while gaming is around 30-50% but when idle it spikes from 20% to 80% randomly, even when task manager states the gpu usage is only 10%... The performance and temperature of the card and PC are perfect regardless of what I do on the machine except for the issues mentioned.

At this point I don't know what to look at as being the cause of this issue.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Also look in Resource Monitor to observe system performance.

Leave the tool window open and watch while you work, game, browse, etc. as normal.

You may be able to spot some change in resources when the problem occurs. Try to figure out what is using any given resource when the mouse cursor blurs.

How old is that Corsair 1200 W PSU? Condition: original, new, refurbished, used? History of heavy gaming use, video editing or bit mining?

There is also the possibility that Reliability History and/or Event Viewer may be logging some error code, warning, or informational event at the time of the blurring.

Start checking there as well.

Apr 27, 2022
Also look in Resource Monitor to observe system performance.

Leave the tool window open and watch while you work, game, browse, etc. as normal.

You may be able to spot some change in resources when the problem occurs. Try to figure out what is using any given resource when the mouse cursor blurs.

How old is that Corsair 1200 W PSU? Condition: original, new, refurbished, used? History of heavy gaming use, video editing or bit mining?

There is also the possibility that Reliability History and/or Event Viewer may be logging some error code, warning, or informational event at the time of the blurring.

Start checking there as well.

Hello and thank you for replying so quickly!

The PSU is brand new actually as the shop replaced all the parts in the rig one by one over the last four months to eliminate any hardware issues so its brand new and I don't use the machine for mining or editing, just normal gaming. I even have a new mouse since then too! Everything is brand new.

I did as asked and performed the tests with the resource monitor open and compared it to when idle and there was nothing that stood out or showed that the system was using extra resources during the tests.

I had a look in the reliability history which threw up only one error of an update not being installed (I installed Win 11 tonight) and the Event Viewer didn't show anything out of the ordinary either other than kernel critical events.

The one thing that has been sort of sticking in my mind is a virus that could have come from the mouse (I know, it's unlikely) and I've ran many scans with multiple programs as well as anti-rootkit programs but they're all clean, both before and after the shop replaced all the internal hardware. It's just odd that as soon as I connected the mouse on two different PCs they started behaving the same.

It's just so weird because I don't have any other issues - no errors, no blue screens, no high temperatures or bad performance. It's the motion blur, trailing when I drag apps or rotate my camera in games.

Thank you! :)

Last edited: