[SOLVED] Weird graphics card interference from bluetooth xbox controller ?

Euroman28

Reputable
Jan 23, 2020
This is a complex issue. I have the following rig.

Intel i7 12700k
64 GB DDR4 memory
Asus Z690 motherboard
Noctua NS-D15 cooler
two NVMEs
An Asus wifi/bluetooth card
ASUS 2070 8GB evo dual
Windows 11

This problem arises while gaming.
Suddenly while gaming on my new XBox elite game controller via bluetooth something wird happens.
Framerate starts to get choppy in gaming and the controller cuts out for a few 2nd. But come back if I move it closer to the wifi/bluetooth antenna. This can happen out of no where.

This doesn't happen if I use blueooth mouse or bluetooth keyboard.

How can the controller interfer the frame rate?

The small plastic shield on the wifi antennas interface is lose have any effect? On the BT could interfer with the FPS?

Last edited:
Solution
I know this doesn’t resolve the original problem but I would suggest just getting the Microsoft Wireless Adapter. I’ve used the original version since it launched and it’s been rock solid, used with both v1 & v2 Elite controllers. It’s cheap, has lower latency, known to be more stable, means you can use the audio port on the controller and can connect up to 8 XBox devices (controllers/wireless headsets).
while gaming on my new XBox elite game controller via bluetooth something weird happens
Bluetooth itself cannot interfere with a game's fps.
but if the software controlling the Bluetooth receiver or the MS software controlling the gamepad are corrupt and/or malfunctioning this could cause issues within Windows that could affect a game's performance.

keep an eye on CPU & GPU usage and clock speeds while this issue is occurring.
report if any abnormally low usage % or clock speed dipping are happening.

this could also just be an issue with Windows 11.
many are suffering from abnormal performance and odd hardware problems in these early iterations of the OS.

Euroman28

Reputable
Jan 23, 2020
Bluetooth itself cannot interfere with a game's fps.
but if the software controlling the Bluetooth receiver or the MS software controlling the gamepad are corrupt and/or malfunctioning this could cause issues within Windows that could affect a game's performance.

keep an eye on CPU & GPU usage and clock speeds while this issue is occurring.
report if any abnormally low usage % or clock speed dipping are happening.

many are suffering from abnormal performance and odd hardware problems in these early iterations of the OS.

Well just did a test. In 2014 Call of Duty WW, the game just suddenly starts to studder and this stops if I hold the controller close to the wifi/bluetooth antenna. And then the game resumes.

In 2019s Call of Duty there is a smaller drop 10-15% in GPU/CPU performance and I am send out into the pause menu.

In both cases the controller becomes unresponsive for new seconds, but doesn't disconnect.

I have all the latest drivers and firmware update for my board, graphicscard.

MB is ASUS z690 tuf gaming D4.

Could this be a PSU issue?

Could this be a PSU issue?
no, the minuscule amount of power used to run a Bluetooth/wireless card would not impact overall system performance.
and the fact that the gamepad loses connection for a few seconds wouldn't affect the amount of power the Bluetooth card was consuming anyway.

there's always a chance that this gamepad's transmitter is malfunctioning and when the Bluetooth software is trying to connect, or remain connected, it causes issues within the OS that lead to noticeable issue within the games.
try the wireless card in a different system / different OS and see if similar issue(s) occur.

I know this doesn’t resolve the original problem but I would suggest just getting the Microsoft Wireless Adapter. I’ve used the original version since it launched and it’s been rock solid, used with both v1 & v2 Elite controllers. It’s cheap, has lower latency, known to be more stable, means you can use the audio port on the controller and can connect up to 8 XBox devices (controllers/wireless headsets).

Solution
Could the metal in this case somehow corrupt the BT signal? Is that possible?
i've used PCI & PCIe cards, USB dongles, and onboard wireless/Bluetooth and have never had an issue with device interference with 50+ of the different metal\composite cases i've built in.

have you even tested this gamepad on a different system to ensure it's transmitter/receiver is not at fault here and leading to these issues?

Euroman28

Reputable
Jan 23, 2020
After doing som digging I found the following errors from when it happens in gaming.

HID error on Bluetooth XINPUT-compatible input device.

Unit cannot start (Code 10).

(Which must be connected to the xbox controller?)

An invalid parameter for service or function.

And I dig into this device error log I get the following.

An invalid for service or function is given.
CD000000D.

Any idea for what means?

Any idea for what means?
that the OS is not communicating with the gamepad as it should.
it is losing contact, possibly only for milliseconds, and when trying to rediscover/reconnect it is affecting other software trying to initiate the device.

if you can prove the gamepad functions as it should on another device;
reinstall Windows.

if it still leads to these types of issues on another device;
return the gamepad.

install Steam on your laptop, login, download one of their small free low performance games, try the gamepad there.
if it still suffers from the same types of problems then it is the pad itself.

Euroman28

Reputable
Jan 23, 2020
that the OS is not communicating with the gamepad as it should.
it is losing contact, possibly only for milliseconds, and when trying to rediscover/reconnect it is affecting other software trying to initiate the device.

if you can prove the gamepad functions as it should on another device;
reinstall Windows.

if it still leads to these types of issues on another device;
return the gamepad.

install Steam on your laptop, login, download one of their small free low performance games, try the gamepad there.
if it still suffers from the same types of problems then it is the pad itself.

So it could be possible a error in the gamepad hardware/firmware? This sucks because it cost me almost 200 USD :(

Last edited:
So it could be possible a error in the gamepad hardware/firmware?
there's always a chance that this gamepad's transmitter is malfunctioning and when the Bluetooth software is trying to connect, or remain connected, it causes issues within the OS that lead to noticeable issue within the games.