Weird Hard Drive glitch

shebuski

Reputable
May 18, 2014
Hey guys. So I booted up my rig after a tough weekend of work, and I found a weird issue. I have 2 hard drives (1 internal, the other external). Both work just fine for about 3 minutes, then something happens. The files lose their thumbnails, but I can still open them. After I close the document window, windows 7 suddenly forgets about my 2 drives, and I can't access either of them. Nothing even shows up when I click Control Panel, it's as if they aren't even there. I can still play games saved on the drives however, leaving me stumped on what to do. I made sure the SATA cables were secured, and even tried different ports. When I open documents, the only things that pop up are the Favorites, Libraries, and Homegroup icons with a search glass on them.

I think it's also worth noting that my computer has been running noticeably slower and choppier since this happened earlier today There were no problems before, and I keep my virus protection up to date. I honestly don't know where to turn, and can't seem to find anyone else with a similar problem on the internet. Any help would be appreciated!

Solution
both drives same problem? im going to go with a problem with the sata controller. if your motherboard has a 2nd controller try putting on of the drives on that and see if the problem persists on it.

shebuski

Reputable
May 18, 2014

I believe I do, I will check on how to do that and see if it helps. Thanks for the fast reply!