Question Weird hard drive like or scratching noise on a brand new build coming from motherboard or aio area

Aug 23, 2022
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterra...ndroidcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button

Here is a reddit post since imgur won't let me upload from mobile.

Not sure what the sound could be, it's more annoying than in the video. Noise is constant and more pronounced when opening even chrome. Comes from motherboard or aio area. Fans are deffo not a problem cuz i stopped each one and noise was still present. I can hear it even with headphones on if no audio is coming trough. Also weird thing on this new build is that at least once one of case fans stopped randomly while others were working. Than had to open gigabyte control center choose any profile and the fan in question would start again.

Gigabyte AORUS b760 elite
I7 13700k
Rtx 4080
Ddr5 6400
Nvme ssd crucial p3

Hey there,

It's possible it coil whine. Sometimes the VRM's on a mobo or GPU resonate at certain frequencies which causes the noise.

Don't be too alarmed. This can be normal. It's not bad for the system (for the most part) - won't harm the system. It's just annoying to listen too. If the noise is too much though, then you have to RMA one or both parts.

What PSU are you running?

Is you bios up to date? All system drivers?

Aug 23, 2022
Hey there,

It's possible it coil whine. Sometimes the VRM's on a mobo or GPU resonate at certain frequencies which causes the noise.

Don't be too alarmed. This can be normal. It's not bad for the system (for the most part) - won't harm the system. It's just annoying to listen too. If the noise is too much though, then you have to RMA one or both parts.

What PSU are you running?

Is you bios up to date? All system drivers?
Bios is not updated, everything else is.
You think bios update could stop the noise? Psu is Asus Rog strix 850g 850w.

Aug 23, 2022
It may help. Won't know until you try.

PSU is a decent one.

You can also try limiting in game FPS, to say maybe 143. It may help reduce the noise.

If it's too noisy as mentioned, then start thinking about RMA

I discovered one more weird thing, every time I scroll down a page, one scroll down it makes that same weird sound. If I open chrome it makes that weird sound. Idk what it could be.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2022
Just a longshot here but that psu, I have a similar one. If I dont have the fan set to running all the time it makes some funky noises when the fan start to spin under load. Loud creaky noises and whines. I set the fan to run and all is well. I think these are reskinned Seasonics, so it should have a button like this: https://knowledge.seasonic.com/article/9-focus-plus-fan-control-button
My fan is spinning all the time, at least I think so button is pressed in.