Weird Headset Background Noise

Dealman

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2014
Hey, sorry if this is the wrong place, but I couldn't find any category that fit this.

I'm having a really hard time trying to find a headset that actually "works". First, I bought a Logitech G430 which is good and all, but I can't wear it since the headband hurts my head like crazy after just about 30-45 minutes of use.

I then bought a G930 since it looked more comfortable, which it was, but since it's wireless it had constant issues with connection. Reconnecting several times, sometimes 5-6 times in a row.

I now bought a Tritton 720+ which comes with a decoder box of sorts which makes it possible to use with Xbox 360 and Playstation.

However, I'm having some issues with background noise. I bought a CoolerMaster Storm Sirus 5.1 a few months ago which I had to return because it had the same issue as this headset, where as it has a very constant and annoying sort of humming in the background.

The pitch/frequency of this hum increase/decrease depending on what I do. For example, while browsing a website it will change the frequency as I scroll up/down. And it'll change quite a bit if I start a 3D game.

The Storm Sirus also came with one of those "fancy" USB controllers for the headset, and it had the same issue, though not quite as loud as this one. Back then I thought it was an issue with my motherboard, but I'm starting to doubt that it is. Because ever since, I have invested in a new motherboard - and I am now having the same issue.

The Tritton is currently plugged in via S/PDIF, but it can be plugged in with analog. I will try this soon as well as with my Xbox 360 to see if they suffer from the same issue. And edit this with the results.

I just thought I'd post this in advance and see what you guys think.

Computer Specs:

CPU: i5 3570k (Not OC'd)
GPU: GTX 780 + GTX 560 Ti OC2 (560 used as dedicated PhysX card)
RAM: 16GB DDR3
Motherboard: ASUS P8C WS C216
Soundcard: None(Other than on-board), but planning to get an external one just for testing purposes.
PSU: Corsair RM 850W Modular

Thanks for taking the time to read this, any suggestions are welcome!

Edit:

Might also be worth adding I already tried their AC Adaptor - USB which came with it, it still has a humming noise in the background. So I'm leaning towards all of those shitty "decoder/amp" boxes suffer from this.

Dealman

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2014
It has a detachable microphone, which I didn't bother to plug in since I have a studio microphone which I use instead. I can try to plug it in and see if there's any difference. However, I just tried this via the analog connection and it makes this sound;

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/qwdc2w37qmfw7vk/voice.mp3

It plays this when I connect the weird USB-like connector of the headset to the AC adapter it comes with.

Edit:

It does not make this noise if I use the decoder box + optical. It does this sound on both my desktop and laptop.

Edit 2:

I have now tried it with my Xbox 360 digital and analog, still a constant humming sound. Thought it is much more quiet.

I guess I'll just have to try to RMA it, which I hate because it will take weeks to get an answer of any sort.

TRENDING THREADS