[SOLVED] Weird high pitched noises.

Ilan25000

Commendable
Oct 27, 2019
Hi I am Ilan Westerhof and i recently upgraded my gpu to an rx 5700 xt, it seemed to work at first, but later I heard this high pitched noise coming from my Psu. Is my psu dying?
also, it started making this noise after i updated the gpu drivers.

View: https://youtu.be/bME4pg2GUmM
this is the sound.

Last edited:
Solution
your gpu drivers shouldnt affect your psu.

It can.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/annoying-coil-whine.2359378/

Althoug my Psu is 620 watt, could it be that changing from a 1060 to an rx 5700 xt (which consumes alot more power) has revealed the issue, the issue Being that it is no longer capable of getting to 600 watt?

I'm guessing it's an old Seasonic S12II or M12II then (since it's 620W).

It's probably not "dying" per say, but you really shouldn't be using an older tech, cheap PSU with higher end graphics cards these days.

PSU should be one with at least LLC resonant mode front end if you want to avoid noises, but even then you can't completely avoid noises under high loads.

j121

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
your gpu drivers shouldnt affect your psu. i mean it could cause more heat in the case but when they start being that loud the only thing you can do is send it back. or change the fan yourself but thats not recommended since you could kill yourself opening it up.

Ilan25000

Commendable
Oct 27, 2019
Well, my whole pc is from 2019, only my SSD, HDD and Psu are older. My SSD and HDD are from 2015 and my Psu is from 2011.
Althoug my Psu is 620 watt, could it be that changing from a 1060 to an rx 5700 xt (which consumes alot more power) has revealed the issue, the issue Being that it is no longer capable of getting to 600 watt?

What is the make/model of your psu?
What I hear sounds simply like the psu cooling fan.
If so, not a problem.
A higher powered graphics card is going to make the psu work harder and the cooling fan will then ramp up.
Some units may have what is called coil whine, but I do not hear that.

Ilan25000

Commendable
Oct 27, 2019
What is the make/model of your psu?
What I hear sounds simply like the psu cooling fan.
If so, not a problem.
A higher powered graphics card is going to make the psu work harder and the cooling fan will then ramp up.
Some units may have what is called coil whine, but I do not hear that.
Im sorry, this video doesn't clearly demonstrate the sound of the Psu, here's a better one (put your sound on high):
View: https://youtu.be/BYfkeOyOCn0
Also, this is a new sound, so i don't think It's coil
whine

your gpu drivers shouldnt affect your psu.

It can.

It's probably not "dying" per say, but you really shouldn't be using an older tech, cheap PSU with higher end graphics cards these days.

PSU should be one with at least LLC resonant mode front end if you want to avoid noises, but even then you can't completely avoid noises under high loads.

Solution

j121

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
a good quality psu like a seasonic shoudnt be that loud even on load. it could be coilwhine but it sounds like something is wrong with the fan.
simple way to check if the Graphics card is causing it take the Graphics card out and run on integrated Graphics and see if its still loud then somthing is wrong.
i tested be quiet system Power 9 and its just as silent on full load as in idle. thats the way a quality psu should do it.

Well, my whole pc is from 2019, only my SSD, HDD and Psu are older. My SSD and HDD are from 2015 and my Psu is from 2011.

The short answer is that it's fine. The older psu designs are sometimes a bit noisier with newer cards, but it shouldn't be a problem otherwise. Especially for an S12II or M12II which are both tough as nails. If the noise doesn't bother you, then pay it no mind.

Reactions: Ilan25000

Ilan25000

Commendable
Oct 27, 2019
It can.

It is indeed an S12II, I ordered a new one this afternoon, a TX650M 80+ gold from corsair. Will this suffice?

Also, to get back to J121, i am rocking an r7 3700x, it doesn't have integrated graphics.

Ilan25000

Commendable
Oct 27, 2019
The short answer is that it's fine. The older psu designs are sometimes a bit noisier with newer cards, but it shouldn't be a problem otherwise. Especially for an S12II or M12II which are both tough as nails. If the noise doesn't bother you, then pay it no mind.
Hmm, i Saw your post a bit late, but im glad to hear that there is nothing wrong.

a good quality psu like a seasonic shoudnt be that loud even on load. it could be coilwhine but it sounds like something is wrong with the fan.

I don't think it's the fan. It actually sounds like something is arcing.

That older platform even though it's a SEASONIC. Is not very good in terms of quality. Outdated.

Correct.

It is indeed an S12II, I ordered a new one this afternoon, a TX650M 80+ gold from corsair. Will this suffice?

Also, to get back to J121, i am rocking an r7 3700x, it doesn't have integrated graphics.

That's a huge upgrade. You'll be fine.