[SOLVED] Weird humming noise from PC

rasmusdyreholt

Reputable
Jul 18, 2018
So recently I went to upgrade my PC at a local PC store. Everything was fine with it, I just simply wanted an upgrade in motherboard and CPU. I get it back today with a new ASUS Z390 motherboard and an intel core i7-97ooK processor.

For some reason, when I turn on the PC, all the fans start as normal but then after a few seconds, this weird humming noise starts. It is loud enough so that I can hear it through a youtube video on normal volume. It didn't happen before.

The humming does not sound like coil whining, more like a fan speeding too fast, but I cannot hear from which fan it should be. I tried listening but it sounds like it comes from the area between the PSU and the GPU on the motherboard or something. Any suggestions? Taking it back to the shop is an option but they are closed for a while, I'd like to see if there is a more hear and now-solution.

Solution
I’m not sure but double check if nothing thing is obstructing any of the case fans, cpu fan, gpu fan or even check the psu fan. From what your saying about the coil noise it may be your power supply but that is only a assumption. It’s a good idea to take it back to the shop.
Jun 10, 2019
I’m not sure but double check if nothing thing is obstructing any of the case fans, cpu fan, gpu fan or even check the psu fan. From what your saying about the coil noise it may be your power supply but that is only a assumption. It’s a good idea to take it back to the shop.

Solution

rasmusdyreholt

Reputable
Jul 18, 2018
I'll try. It kinda sounds like a fan is operating at 100% speed, but it shouldn't do that when I just boot it up. Is there a way to modify the PSU fan by any chance so I can troubleshoot it?

rasmusdyreholt

Reputable
Jul 18, 2018
So I just put it on its side and I can confirm it is the PSU, it sounds like the fan is just running too fast. Can I fix this?

Jun 10, 2019
You shouldn’t really open up the power supply unless you know what your doing. Try to search the issue up on youtube or take the pc to the shop and tell them what you think is going on.

rasmusdyreholt

Reputable
Jul 18, 2018
You shouldn’t really open up the power supply unless you know what your doing. Try to search the issue up on youtube or take the pc to the shop and tell them what you think is going on.
I'll take it to the shop but I have important stuff to do meanwhile I wait for them to open and this fan is annoying.

It never happened before though? Before I gave the PC to them, there was no problem, it was as quiet as any other fan but now it's just noisy as hell...

Jun 10, 2019
I don’t know what could have gone wrong while they replaced your motherboard. Maybe something got stuck in there. I really don’t know I never had this problem before. But I hope you get it fixed and everything works fine again.