Question Weird intermittent power-off issue right after power-on

inZane86

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2012
Hi. Hope everyone's doing well.

I need to ask this question, as I feel like other instances and threads while similar, aren't exactly the same as my problem and there might be some key differences which would help me diagnose my problem.

A couple nights ago I switched my pc on, but I hit the power switch twice fast accidentally, and it booted up then shut down a few seconds later. I waited a couple seconds more then hit power again. It switched on for a few seconds then show down again. My immediate resolve was to hit the power switch at the back of the PSU and wait for around 5 seconds, after I did this I booted up no problem and I carried on as usual.

Today I shut down my pc again, same problem. I switch it on and after a couple seconds it shuts down by itself. I'm unsure whether its the power switch or the PSU because of the fact that it runs perfectly fine the rest of the time. I can leave it on all night with no issues at all, the problem only seems to happen when I shut down completely and push power on, and even then only sometimes. Again, switching the main switch at the back of the psu seems to solve it, although this time it just started up automatically, something it did to before as well as older computers, something I've always wondered about..

Under load it's also fine, it only seems to happen in a completely shut down state. Could it be my psu on its way out? Or more likely a faulty power button?

My rig is around 5 years old and the specs are the following:

CPU: Intel core i5 cpu 4460 socket 1150 LGA 3.2ghz
MB: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH
Mem: 8GB DDR 3
GFX: AMD Radeon R9 280
PSU: Corsair cs650m gold? (I think)

inZane86

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2012
Define "shut down completely".

You mean, just through Windows? Or do you shut down in Windows AND flip the switch off in the back?

When it happens it happens from a completely off state. When it switches itself off it barely reaches the CMOS startup screen. When I hit the switch at the back of the psu and leave it for a couple seconds before turning it back on, it starts up fine, at least so far it has.