Weird internet connection issue

RoughSaturn

Reputable
May 1, 2015
My internet connection is having a weird issue. I can’t load any webpage or play online on any game, but I am somehow able to go online on Steam and chat with my friends. I’ve already restarted my router a couple times and checked other pc’s in my home (both wireless and via LAN). Couldn’t try wireless since my motherboard does not support that.
I let AVG scan my whole PC, there appear to be no viruses. Don’t think switching the cable is gonna help because then I would have absolutely no connection.
Checked if anything was blocked in my windows files, nothing there.

Also, I went ahead and checked some programs in Task Manager, and when I went into startup I saw 2 programs which were literally called ‘Program’. They had no producer nor could I go into the location of where the program was installed. I disabled them for now but it doesn’t seem to help.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Could be DNS. Open command prompt and type "ping 8.8.8.8" without the quotes you should get 4 reply's and under it it should say packets sent=4 packets recieved=4 0% loss. Then type "ping google.com" if you do not get a reply you have a dns issue.

RoughSaturn

Reputable
May 1, 2015

Seems to work fine, so I don't think its a DNS issue

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

Hmm well run this command anyways just to make sure, it wont hurt anything even if it isn't a dns issue. Open command prompt again and type "ipconfig /flushdns".

Then try to browse the internet if you still get nothing I have some more things we can try. And how long has it been doing this?

RoughSaturn

Reputable
May 1, 2015

Flushed it, didn't work. The issue has only appeared a couple hours ago, never had it before.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

Could be a problem with your ISP if its just randomly starts working again the issue was probably on their end. But you can try this just in case it isn't.

More commands to try. lets try getting you a different private ip address. Open command prompt type "ipconfig /release" press enter then type "ipconfig /renew".

RoughSaturn

Reputable
May 1, 2015

Tried that and restarted my pc once again as well, just for good measure, didn't help at at all :/

RoughSaturn

Reputable
May 1, 2015

Ran a scan, 1 file was found which 'might be malware but not sure'. Didn't change anything though.

RoughSaturn

Reputable
May 1, 2015

Well, I managed to find the solution, seemed to be with AVG blocking everything. I disabled my firewall and all the other AVG protection methods and restarted my pc, everything works again.

Weird, but as long as it works I'm happy.