[SOLVED] Weird internet connectivity issues after clean Windows 10/11 install ?

ObnoxiousWalrus

Reputable
Aug 11, 2019
Hey there.

My computer has been having a bunch of issues ever since I changed the motherboard. After troubleshooting for literally two weeks, I pulled the plug and just did a complete reinstall of Windows 11.

By "complete reinstall" I'm talking about creating a bootable installation media, booting up from there, delete all partitions on the drive and install windows fresh from there.

However, from the moment the newly-installed OS opened, I've had internet connection issues. I managed to install the drivers of my Netgear Nighthawk A7000 USB WiFi Adapter through a flash drive and another computer but then, while windows says the PC is connected strongly to my router, it's really not. 19/20 of times, opening the browser and trying to reach any page will tell me the connection has failed or has been refused, telling me to check my proxy settings or internet connection. But what makes this weird is that there's a remaining 1/20. Sometimes, trying to open a page just suddenly works, but for barely a few seconds before performing poorly again.

In short, my connection seems very "flimsy"(?) after freshly installing windows.

Things I've tried include :
  • Changing power management options of both the USB ports and the wifi adapter in device manager.
  • Uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, 7 times.
  • Doing another clean install, 4 times.
  • Doing a clean windows 10 install instead of windows 11. Both systems behaved exactly the same and the issue exists in both.
Any ideas?

Solution
Make sure you go to your motherboard manufacturers website and download all the released drivers for that board, don't rely on default windows drivers because they aren't perfect matches and can have flaky behavior. Especially make sure you download the chipset drivers which usually have the USB host controller on it.
Make sure you go to your motherboard manufacturers website and download all the released drivers for that board, don't rely on default windows drivers because they aren't perfect matches and can have flaky behavior. Especially make sure you download the chipset drivers which usually have the USB host controller on it.

Solution