Question Weird Internet Issues w/Wired Connection

Sep 9, 2015
Hello good people of tom's HARDWARE I have been having a weird web browsing issue for a few weeks now.
About a month ago before going to bed I was watching some tv using a FireStick when all of a sudden it stopped playing. Checked my phone and noticed there was no internet. I checked my Fios router and noticed a yellow light instead of the usual white. I figured they were doing maintenance and let it go until morning.
Next day saw the light changed back to white and my wifi on my phone was working as well as on my tv. However, my desktop pc and my fiance's (both wired connection, both custom builds mine is Win11 hers Win10) were both being very weird, Youtube videos would stop buffering altogether, downloads from the web would stop about halfway through, webpages wouldn't fully load, etc. I put my pc on wifi since I have a wifi card and everything seemed to be working fine, but doesn't help my wired connection also on wifi I have varying levels of ping in games.
I have to this point tried:
A different cable running to our PC's
Had Verizon send out a new router
Spoke with Verizon support who also reached out to their "Network Team" where they renewed my DHCP Lease and also my IP? (at least that is what they said)
I have also unplugged all connections going from the, what I'm assuming is the modem, that is out in our storage closet that runs to into our apartment
Cleared cache and cookies on ALL web browsers installed (Chrome, Firefox and Edge)
Uninstalled Chrome and Firefox
Updated Windows on both PCs

I know this maybe a weird and possibly unfixable issue, but I don't know what else to do

Reactions: Kuazzy

Lutfij

Titan
Usually the issue, you've stated, can be the cause of a faulty or failing router/networking device or the issue is actually on their end or a bad connection leading up to your crib. Have you seen if your platforms, both of them are pending any BIOS, drivers and/or OS updates? Speaking of hardware, can you please state the specs to both your builds?

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"I have also unplugged all connections going from the, what I'm assuming is the modem, that is out in our storage closet that runs to into our apartment "

Not sure about what has been unplugged.

Normal home network connections are usually very similar to the following line diagram:

ISP ---- (DSL, coax, Fiber) ---> Modem ----Ethernet cable ----->[WAN port] Router [ LAN ports} to wired devices and ~~~ wireless ~~~~> wireless devices.

The modem and router are sometimes combined.

Trace the wires and feel free to edit and correct my line diagram.

Include the make and model information for any devices that you find. Access Points, Switches, other routers, etc...

That said one starting point would be the router's logs (if available and enabled).

The logs may be capturing some relevant information and errors.

Normally you, as user/Router Admin have control over such things as DHCP Lease time, Static IPs, and so forth.

Unfortunately, ISP's want to have that control for whatever purposes they may have.

Immediate objective is to get you network/internet up and running again.

Starting with what was unplugged and the consequences thereof.

Sep 9, 2015
Usually the issue, you've stated, can be the cause of a faulty or failing router/networking device or the issue is actually on their end or a bad connection leading up to your crib. Have you seen if your platforms, both of them are pending any BIOS, drivers and/or OS updates? Speaking of hardware, can you please state the specs to both your builds?
Hello,
I did state that I had Verizon send out a new router although I'm guessing you're referring to the modem they have installed.

I did update both PCs to the latest windows version and all drivers that windows could find. I also did an update on my network driver as well. As far as BIOS mine is also up to the latest as well as my Fiance's.

My PC Spec:

ASUS B550-F
Ryzen 9 5900x
Gigabyte RTX 3080
4x 8GB DDR4-3200 Trident Z RAM
Corsair HX1000
Win 11

Fiance PC

ASUS B450-F
Ryzen 5 3600
ZOTAC GTX 1060 6GB
2x 8GB DDR4 3200 RAM (not sure brand)
Corsair CX650M
Win 10

Sep 9, 2015
This:

"I have also unplugged all connections going from the, what I'm assuming is the modem, that is out in our storage closet that runs to into our apartment "

Not sure about what has been unplugged.

Normal home network connections are usually very similar to the following line diagram:

ISP ---- (DSL, coax, Fiber) ---> Modem ----Ethernet cable ----->[WAN port] Router [ LAN ports} to wired devices and ~~~ wireless ~~~~> wireless devices.

The modem and router are sometimes combined.

Trace the wires and feel free to edit and correct my line diagram.

Include the make and model information for any devices that you find. Access Points, Switches, other routers, etc...

That said one starting point would be the router's logs (if available and enabled).

The logs may be capturing some relevant information and errors.

Normally you, as user/Router Admin have control over such things as DHCP Lease time, Static IPs, and so forth.

Unfortunately, ISP's want to have that control for whatever purposes they may have.

Immediate objective is to get you network/internet up and running again.

Starting with what was unplugged and the consequences thereof.

There was a power cable and a coax cable going into the modem I unplugged both of those for about 5 minutes and then simply plugged them back in. there is a ethernet cable going into the back of the Fios router into the WAN port

There are no other devices other than said modem, router and both PCs which are using separate ethernet cables

I am unsure about any logs on the router although I would think my ISP would check there?

thank you for your reply

Ralston18

Titan
I am not sure about what any given ISP may or may not do.

For the most part, the router is on your side of the network. Premise being that connections up to and maybe including the modem being the ISP's responsibility.

Everything else thereafter is on you. There are exceptions: for example if you are renting the modem and/or router from the ISP then they have more responsibility for the equipment. ISP's that allow you to own your own devices often have a list of supported devices. If your router is not on the list the ISP may do nothing or very little. Maybe check the connection up to the router - nothing more.

And if they are responsible for the installed devices then the ISP does not want the end users to be able to access the router for information or make configuration changes.

Quite a number of router manufacturers have their customer's log into the manufacturer's website in some manner to configure the router. Even if the customer owns the router.

Not truly necessary:

https://www.lifewire.com/check-router-history-5206763

All in all there are variations. Knowing the make and model of the modem, router, (or modem/router if combined) can be used to find the applicable User Guide/Manual to learn about the router and available configuration options. You must however know the Login name and password. Unless the router has been factory reset. Then the default configuration is in use.

List the make and model information for modem and router.

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt on both PCs. Post the results.

Also FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-...vate IP address is,a home or business network.

When the ISP renewed your DHCP IP address I expect that they were referring to the Public IP address. That is the IP address that you do not want to reveal.

Your last post makes this somewhat more confusing.

Most FIOS systems have a fiber coming into the house to the box you are calling a modem. Verizon calls this a ONT. From that box it commonly is hooked to a router with a COAX cable. When you use it in this mode you have to use verizon router. The router is also required when you also buy tv services from verizon. The other way that that is commonly used is to connect between the ONT and the router with a ethernet cable. Using this method you can use any router but Verizon must activate the ethernet port in the ONT to do this.

What is strange is you talk about both a ethernet cable in the wan port and a coax cable. Generally it is not done that way. I am unsure if it causes any issues to have both hooked up, you would think the ONT would only have 1 port active anyway.

From your overall discription it sounds like your internet went down for a while and when it came back you are still taking errors. These errors will tend to be on the fiber where you can not see it and should not be related to the router.
The last fios router I used had logs that show if the connection goes down. They also have things like speedtest on the router itself that you should be able to test the connection with.

Sep 9, 2015
Your last post makes this somewhat more confusing.

Most FIOS systems have a fiber coming into the house to the box you are calling a modem. Verizon calls this a ONT. From that box it commonly is hooked to a router with a COAX cable. When you use it in this mode you have to use verizon router. The router is also required when you also buy tv services from verizon. The other way that that is commonly used is to connect between the ONT and the router with a ethernet cable. Using this method you can use any router but Verizon must activate the ethernet port in the ONT to do this.

What is strange is you talk about both a ethernet cable in the wan port and a coax cable. Generally it is not done that way. I am unsure if it causes any issues to have both hooked up, you would think the ONT would only have 1 port active anyway.

From your overall discription it sounds like your internet went down for a while and when it came back you are still taking errors. These errors will tend to be on the fiber where you can not see it and should not be related to the router.
The last fios router I used had logs that show if the connection goes down. They also have things like speedtest on the router itself that you should be able to test the connection with.

Hello,

I believe you are right and I just noticed another smaller black box in the corner of my apartment where a white cable comes out, however this is in ethernet cable that goes into the WAN port of my FIOS router. So basically I have the following:

Modem/ONT box in the storage closet that has fiber connections, an ethernet cable, coax cable and a power cable plugged into it.

The coax and ethernet cable seem to route to the wall where this other smaller black box (has a small blue button that says ONT Reset) is however, this black box does not seem to be plugged into anything unless the coax goes to it somehow as it seems the ethernet cable bypasses this little box and goes straight to my FIOS router.

I am not sure if this information is relevant, but looking under Diagnostics & Monitoring > System-wide Traffic Connections there is a column labeled "Network (Home/Office) and at the bottom of said column is a row that says Rec'd Drops and has 5612 where the other couple columns have 0

Thank you for your reply

Ralston18

Titan
Are you able to take some photographs of the boxes and post the photographs here via imgur (www.imgur.com)?

Or at least look at each box to make note of the manufacturer and model information?

And show or describe the connections (cables, ports) that you find.

Apr 7, 2022
Hey, my previous comment got deleted but I was having this same exact issue (ethernet having slow speeds on ethernet only; wifi working fine; only certain sites) and managed to solve it by having Verizon reset the IPv6 on the router side. There seems to be some incompatibility with certain IPv6 addresses and certain sites, specifically youtube, Gmail, downloading, etc. Hope this helps, this solved my issue immediately.