Weird issue, can't decide if my GPU is dead or not.

Sparkyy

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2014
Here's my PC specs:
Fx 6300
Asus m5a78l-m/usb3
Inno3d Gtx 960 Herculez X2
4 GB Hyperx Fury
1TB WD Blue(5 month old)
Antec VP 450 W(~80% efficiency)
Its a decent build I made in 2015 and it worked great, recently 3-4 months back I stopped using it as much (not more than 1 hour daily). But due to renovation I had to shift it from place to place, which probably caused physical damage in my GPU(I'm not 100% sure, never dropped or mishandled it).
So few weeks back when I started using it again, it was working fine, and I was listening to local music, all of sudden PC froze for 5-7 seconds and rebooted after that, and on reboot all was horrible, res was low 800/600 black bars on side and shitty red dots all over that changed places as I moved my cursor.Got code 43.

As far as my research went this indicated a hardware issue, and I was almost certain my GPU is dead, but anyway I decided to try out a few fixes, many failed attempts, later I tried DDU and installed latest drivers and to my surprise it worked!!! It was like new, my games(batman AC, tekken 7) were working flawless 60 fps on 900p res, no red dots.
But again after few hours it would randomly freeze for 5-7 seconds and reboot and again glitch up. This continues like a cycle, sometimes after installing drivers it even works for 10+ hours straight and sometimes it won't work at all.

What I'm confused about is if my GPU has a hardware damage how in the world does it work for that temporary amount of time? It works perfectly fine like nothing happened, and after few hours it is ruined.
Also note that it doesn't really matter if PC is idle or under load, that freeze and reboot is totally random.

Can someone help me realise what exactly is going on in my PX?
Thank you for reading all of that xD.

Solution
There is no way to know if the PSU is the issue or not outside of changing everything else around it and still having the same issue. You can run software tests on a lot of things, but not the power supply, and a bad power supply can act like a failing motherboard or video card or almost any other component.

Sparkyy

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2014

NO overheating, temps range between 40-70 C under load.Cleaned the PC just today and reinstalled drivers, it's working fine atm, all games resolution and stuff is perfect(don't know for how long though), just reassembled it in a new case with better air flow then previous one. I don't have the luxury of another system or power supply at the moment.
could you give a hint as to what could be going wrong.

Note: i noticed my pc has sysnetwk.exe virus/malware, i remember it got infected only after i went through this gpu problem. I have avast free version which blocks this virus as soon as pc starts but it cannot permanently get rid of it.

Boot off a AV rescue disk, it should be able to delete the virus, if not, you may want to re-install Windows clean to wipe it. If you have one virus, you may have more.

Your power supply is also pretty low quality for a gaming setup, Antec is a good PSU vendor, but the VP models is their budget range.

Sparkyy

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2014

I have tried lot of things (including rescue drive) to get rid of That virus, a full reformat is the last option, which I will do once I know what exactly is wrong with my PC.
Now about PSU, yes i received a lot of NO for a 450 watt unit, it was just right on edge for my system.I was initially going for the Corsair VS 550, but here people recommended against VS series, had no option other than Antec.
If i could get a confirmation that my PSU is faulty and GPU is fine, I will get new psu 500+ watt, but what if i get the new PSU and still one day this happens, i need to be sure PSU is at a fault here.
Although all the symptoms point towards GPU being fine, I'm not 100% sure. If its PSU is there any software that can check my PSU for being faulty ?:??:

Note: just checked my pc still running good, played Batman Arkham City for few minutes, running absolutely flawless with high preset and 900p res.

There is no way to know if the PSU is the issue or not outside of changing everything else around it and still having the same issue. You can run software tests on a lot of things, but not the power supply, and a bad power supply can act like a failing motherboard or video card or almost any other component.

Solution

Sparkyy

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2014
Then what am I supposed to do?
If i buy a new GPU to at least match the GTX 960, it would set me back ~20k INR, while replacing the PSU would cost me ~5k INR.
There is no way I could spend that much money without even knowing if it would fix the problem or not :/
Help!!

Without swapping out parts, there is no way to know exactly where the issue is. Bring it to a computer shop where they have spare parts and have them test things.

Sparkyy

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2014

Seems to be the best bet, although surprisingly my PC is still running flawlessly for more than 30 hours now, hopefully it keeps on going.
Thanks for your time :)