[SOLVED] Weird issue on my motherboard regarding Power, is it dead?

Jun 9, 2020
First my Motherboard:

Asrock B350 Pro4

The issue I've been having:

So about a few weeks ago i was getting random crashes on windows with a BSoD showing a Whea Uncontrollable Error and after suffering with it for a few weeks decided to try and permanently fix it, plus an excuse to clean things up a bit.

I could see that my CPU temps were really high, about 80⁰c resting, so figured a clear out of the Fan and some new thermal paste could help here, it had been a few years. I disconnected my fan and pulled out the cpu with it! It was stuck on there like concrete.

I managed to free it but accidentally bent afew pins on the CPU, I have since gone over and straightened these out the best I could, placing the cpu on the motherboard doesnt seem to bend anymore pins and although the latch is not holding the cpu, it seems to be ok. It's a Ryzen 1500x

Now the weird part, my power button doesnt appear to be working and the only way to get the system to receive any power is by slightly moving the Motherboard 24 pin, specifically the separated 4 pin and moving it slightly out, this powers the fans and I dont get any display.

Now obviously I dont want to do this so thought maybe the PSU was dying as that could've been related to the BSoD errors I was getting before this, so I ordered a new PSU and installed that today.

The motherboard is now not getting any power, all connections are in, and the PSU is fine after testing

I'm at a loss here of what the issue is, it could be:

A dead Motherboard
The PSU not proving power
The CPU, I admit that maybe there are some bent pins that I missed, but I'm not 100% convinced this is the issue.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Solution
Weirder still, if I hold the motherboard 24 pin cable down in a certain position, the psu fan is spinning, the GPU fan and cpu fan is as well

I'm starting to think this is a motherboard issue at this point, everything else seems to be fine but it's hard to tell
If everything is spinning, the motherboard should be fine in theory
I’d try to swap the CPU AND PSU and see if that works.

512-Bit

Reputable
Apr 17, 2019
How did you move the motherboard 24 pin? You could have bent it or broke it in some way...
Either way, if you have another motherboard on hands, I’d suggest testing that with your components.
If that works, I’d also suggest getting a new CPU as running a CPU with bent pins is probably not the best of ideas.

Jun 9, 2020
How did you move the motherboard 24 pin? You could have bent it or broke it in some way...
Either way, if you have another motherboard on hands, I’d suggest testing that with your components.
If that works, I’d also suggest getting a new CPU as running a CPU with bent pins is probably not the best of ideas.

I returned the PSU and I am looking into a new motherboard asap, money is a bit tight so that's an issue lol

The CPU looks to be fine atm, I've triple checked every pin and nothing seems to be out of place or badly bent, all seem to be straight enough, but like you said a new CPU may be what I need, I am looking to upgrade soon anyway so I may have to just wait

512-Bit

Reputable
Apr 17, 2019
I returned the PSU and I am looking into a new motherboard asap, money is a bit tight so that's an issue lol

The CPU looks to be fine atm, I've triple checked every pin and nothing seems to be out of place or badly bent, all seem to be straight enough, but like you said a new CPU may be what I need, I am looking to upgrade soon anyway so I may have to just wait
Okay.
If you do chose to upgrade the CPU, I’d recommend the Ryzen 5 1600 AF, it’s basically a 2600 but cheap af
You may or may not need a B450 series motherboard for it, idk.

what motherboard were you planning on buying?

512-Bit

Reputable
Apr 17, 2019

Also, the “WHEA UNCONTROLLABLE” error means a fatal hardware error has occurred. It’s probably either your cpu burnt up from that toasty 80 degrees, or the bent pins. It could also be an overclock.
If the pc somehow starts, reset the CMOS, that will clear all overclocks you may have set. Could also be defective ram.
I would try to just replace the cpu first to see if that fixes your issue before going out to buy an all new motherboard.

just curious, what are your pc specs? Depending on your specs it may not be worth saving your pc...

Jun 9, 2020
The error was well before I removed the CPU so the bent pins were not the issue at that point, I personally thought the RAM was to blame, but Memtest came up with no errors on them

As for my specs:

Asrock B350 Pro4
Ryzen 3 1500x
16gb DDR4 RAM
WD M2 SSD 1tb
Zotac GTX 1060 6gb
CX 600w PSU

I'm looking at a ASUS ROG Strix B450-F, however I'm thinking of going for a cheapish one for now to get this back up and running until I can afford a new setup completely, I was looking at this one for now:

MSI A320M-A PRO

512-Bit

Reputable
Apr 17, 2019
The error was well before I removed the CPU so the bent pins were not the issue at that point, I personally thought the RAM was to blame, but Memtest came up with no errors on them

As for my specs:

Asrock B350 Pro4
Ryzen 3 1500x
16gb DDR4 RAM
WD M2 SSD 1tb
Zotac GTX 1060 6gb
CX 600w PSU

I'm looking at a ASUS ROG Strix B450-F, however I'm thinking of going for a cheapish one for now to get this back up and running until I can afford a new setup completely, I was looking at this one for now:

MSI A320M-A PRO
I’d suggest against getting A320 boards.
A B350 board SHOULD work.
The fact your cpu was running at 80 degrees could be the culprit of the supposed hardware failure mentioned in the BSOD.

Jun 9, 2020
I’d suggest against getting A320 boards.
A B350 board SHOULD work.
The fact your cpu was running at 80 degrees could be the culprit of the supposed hardware failure mentioned in the BSOD.

Oh yea, I'm not ruling that out at all, hence why I thought changing the paste would help until I got a new cooler in

512-Bit

Reputable
Apr 17, 2019
Oh yea, I'm not ruling that out at all, hence why I thought changing the paste would help until I got a new cooler in
Yea, I’d first try replacing thermal paste, then move on to replacing the cpu. If the pc still doesn’t work after that then I’d buy a new motherboard.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2020
Yea, I’d first try replacing thermal paste, then move on to replacing the cpu. If the pc still doesn’t work after that then I’d buy a new motherboard.
Update:

I think I I may have not seated the CPU fully as it was easy to remove and keeps getting pulled out with the cpu cooler, I checked and straightened any pins and repeated it properly and added more thermal paste and are attached the old psu.

However I am now back to square one, the motherboard appears to be receiving power, the cpu fan, GPU and case fans are running as normal, but looking at the PSU itself the fan is not running but instead juttering it's not span once,

I am not also getting any display from the GPU at all

Jun 9, 2020
Weirder still, if I hold the motherboard 24 pin cable down in a certain position, the psu fan is spinning, the GPU fan and cpu fan is as well

I'm starting to think this is a motherboard issue at this point, everything else seems to be fine but it's hard to tell

512-Bit

Reputable
Apr 17, 2019

If everything is spinning, the motherboard should be fine in theory
I’d try to swap the CPU AND PSU and see if that works.

Solution
Jun 9, 2020
Update:

Managed to find some money and go for a Ryzen 5 2600, bit of an upgrade whilst I could, waiting on it for thursday so hopefully that will fix the issue

Jun 9, 2020
Alright, keep me posted on how that goes

sorry in advance if I take forever to reply , currently in the process of moving lmao

No worries I appreciate the help either way

Ok, installed a new cpu, managed to get the pc to power on, still have no display but the motherboard is able to be turned on by jumping the power pins fine now whereas it wasnt allowing me to do this before

I tried resetting the CMOS battery and still no display, it just doesn't make sense to me now, everything appears to be working fine as far as I can see but still no display

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2020
No worries I appreciate the help either way

Ok, installed a new cpu, managed to get the pc to power on, still have no display but the motherboard is able to be turned on by jumping the power pins fine now

I tried resetting the CMOS battery and still no display, it just doesn't make sense to me now, everything appears to be working fine as far as I can see but still no display

So now this is narrowing down to the PSU failing or the Motherboard is broken somewhere

Really tough to say where

Jun 9, 2020
I've been having some issues with my System lately and I'm trying to narrow down the issues

There is a more detailed thread here:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...rding-power-is-it-dead.3617940/#post-21845052

Essentially what happened is that I bent some pins on my cpu when taking it out of my system to apply new thermal paste as I was having some issues on some games and it resetting due to a "Whea_uncorrectable_error "

I've now replaced the CPU and the motherboard appears to be getting power again, however i cannot get a display at all

The GPU is spinning fine and I wasnt having any issues before that, so I've narrowed it down to one of the following:

The GPU
The motherboard
The PSU is not supplying enough power

Does anyone have any ideas of what to try?

Jun 9, 2020
I've been having some issues with my System lately and I'm trying to narrow down the issues

There is a more detailed thread here:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...rding-power-is-it-dead.3617940/#post-21845052

Essentially what happened is that I bent some pins on my cpu when taking it out of my system to apply new thermal paste as I was having some issues on some games and it resetting due to a "Whea_uncorrectable_error "

I've now replaced the CPU and the motherboard appears to be getting power again, however i cannot get a display at all

The GPU is spinning fine and I wasnt having any issues before that, so I've narrowed it down to one of the following:

The GPU
The motherboard
The PSU is not supplying enough power

Does anyone have any ideas of what to try?

Jun 9, 2020
Apologies here you go:

Asrock B350 Pro4
Ryzen 3 1500x
16gb DDR4 RAM
WD M2 SSD 1tb
Zotac GTX 1060 6gb
CX 600w PSU

I've replaced the Ryzen 3 1500x with a Ryzen 5 2600

Jun 9, 2020
You likely need a bios update in order to post with the new CPU. afaik your board doesn't support updating the bios if the machine doesn't post, so you will need to reinstall the old CPU.

Unfortunately the old cpu has multiple bent pins so I cannot use it to boot,

So is there any other method other than a new MB?