Question Weird issue when using 3 monitors ?

quasee

Honorable
Oct 30, 2016
I have 3 monitors connected to my PC as follows: two connected to my GPU (one of them being a TV) and one connected to the motherboard.

The issue I'm having is, when all 3 monitors are plugged into the PC, the 3rd monitor (TV) has to be powered on or the main monitor (connected to GPU) will not get a signal. The only monitor that works is the secondary monitor which is connected to the motherboard. If I turn on the TV or unplug it from the GPU, the 1st monitor begins receiving a signal. Anyone know how to make it so the main display works regardless of if the 3rd monitor is on?

Some specs are below, let me know if anything else is needed.

Windows 11
GPU - MSI 4090
CPU -13900k
Motherboard - MSI PRO Z690-A

EXACTLY which type of inputs are each of the monitors AND the TV using? HDMI, DP, DVI, VGA, etc?

What is the EXACT model of the graphics card you have? And by that, I don't mean "MSI 4090" I mean WHICH MSI 4090?

Generally speaking, you are best off connecting the TV to one of the motherboard outputs if possible or to one of the secondary video outputs on the graphics card. If you are using the TV for gaming, then that might not be possible or desirable to use the motherboard for that. For anything non-gaming, it would be recommended.

quasee

Honorable
Oct 30, 2016
EXACTLY which type of inputs are each of the monitors AND the TV using? HDMI, DP, DVI, VGA, etc?

What is the EXACT model of the graphics card you have? And by that, I don't mean "MSI 4090" I mean WHICH MSI 4090?

Generally speaking, you are best off connecting the TV to one of the motherboard outputs if possible or to one of the secondary video outputs on the graphics card. If you are using the TV for gaming, then that might not be possible or desirable to use the motherboard for that. For anything non-gaming, it would be recommended.

GPU - DP for monitor, HDMI for TV
Motherboard - HDMI monitor

The TV is used solely for gaming so I need it connected to the GPU.

I have the MSI gaming X trio GPU, if that helps.

Ok, so I'd recommend getting a DP to HDMI adapter and using whichever of the DP outputs is the "first" one it looks to for your main monitor. Use the adapted DP for the TV and of course then you can simply use the motherboard output or even the now unused HDMI output on the graphics card for the other monitor. You may need to play around with which of the outputs to used based on which of them the card sees as "first" in line.

Assuming the second monitor is always on like the primary monitor, it shouldn't be a problem for it to be connected to the HDMI on the graphics card, unlike with the TV that isn't. Plus, you might want to take another look at your Nvidia control panel settings and when gaming make sure you are using the proper resolution TYPE in it's settings because usually there are, for example, multiple types of "1080p" (Or whatever resolution) as in some of them are "PC - 1080p - Native" while there might also be "TV" or "Ultra HD, HD, SD - 1080p, 1920 x 1080" options and they usually don't all act the same or even look the same. So you might want to play around with those as well.

The other thing you might want to look at doing, and I've had to do this for my three LG 1440p panels + 1080p TV, to get them to not only work right but stop moving crap to a different display that isn't even on or rearranging the desktop in unwanted ways, is using Displayfusion.

I've been using the free version for years now and it has, for me, completely fixed the lack of Microsoft's and Nvidia/AMD's attention to detail and stability when it comes to multiple monitor configurations.

quasee

Honorable
Oct 30, 2016
Ok, so I'd recommend getting a DP to HDMI adapter and using whichever of the DP outputs is the "first" one it looks to for your main monitor. Use the adapted DP for the TV and of course then you can simply use the motherboard output or even the now unused HDMI output on the graphics card for the other monitor. You may need to play around with which of the outputs to used based on which of them the card sees as "first" in line.

Assuming the second monitor is always on like the primary monitor, it shouldn't be a problem for it to be connected to the HDMI on the graphics card, unlike with the TV that isn't. Plus, you might want to take another look at your Nvidia control panel settings and when gaming make sure you are using the proper resolution TYPE in it's settings because usually there are, for example, multiple types of "1080p" (Or whatever resolution) as in some of them are "PC - 1080p - Native" while there might also be "TV" or "Ultra HD, HD, SD - 1080p, 1920 x 1080" options and they usually don't all act the same or even look the same. So you might want to play around with those as well.

The other thing you might want to look at doing, and I've had to do this for my three LG 1440p panels + 1080p TV, to get them to not only work right but stop moving crap to a different display that isn't even on or rearranging the desktop in unwanted ways, is using Displayfusion.

I've been using the free version for years now and it has, for me, completely fixed the lack of Microsoft's and Nvidia/AMD's attention to detail and stability when it comes to multiple monitor configurations.

Thanks for the help. I looked into using a DP to HDMI cable, but unfortunately what I need doesn't exist, as far as I have seen. I need a cable that is 20+ feet as my TV and PC are in separate rooms. I will look at the nvidia control panel and play around, but I tried that extensively before making the OP. It's possible I missed something or didn't try all the possibilities.

Thanks again!