Question Weird issue with 4090 and can't seem to find anything about it

JinxTheWorld

Commendable
Jan 10, 2021
I'll start with specs.

Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX
Ryzen 7900x (No OC and Igpu is disabled)
32gb G skill Trident Z 5 Neo 6000mhz
PNY XLR8 4090
WD SN850 NVME 1tb C: drive
Soundblaster AE-7

The Problem: My 4090 is "inactive" sometimes when i boot my PC up. This always happens after a windows update and i have to restart the the PC 2-3 times to fix it. What i mean by inactive you ask? In GPUZ the core and memory clock read as "---", as in nothing is being reported. No this isn't just a bad sensor, as games play at a slideshow or completelely freeze up. Youtube vids are a slideshow. VRAM still functions though and does get used as per normal. Fans are spinning as normal with nothing else out of the ordinary. GPU core temp reads as normal and power draw is at its 60w idle usage. It is very bizarre.

This only crops up after any windows update but doesn't show up again after a couple restarts to get it back, until of course the next windows update. Something is off, but since i cannot find any relevant information regarding this exact issue i am not sure what action to take. Such as BIOS update, reinstall windows11 (would really like to avoid this), and of course DDU. This isn't something i can manually cause to happen, but i do know the trigger for it (windows update). Which restarting the PC 2-3 times fixes.

GPU temps are normal at 65-70c under full load depending on room temp. Aside from this strange behavior the 4090 acts and works as is expected and works great. No overheating, no crashing, and fans all spin and work with no noises.

The problem first started i believe when i changed to the current mobo and CPU on win10. I did not do a fresh install of windows and simply migrated everything over to windows 11 shortly after i changed to the new mobo and CPU. I have not done a DDU.

Anyone hear of this or experienced it? Perhaps know the exact reason?

Lutfij

Titan
You forgot to include the make and model of your PSU and it's age.

reinstall windows11 (would really like to avoid this)
Where did you source the installer for your OS? Did you install the OS in an offline mode? Following a successful install of the OS, did you manually install all relevant drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Such as BIOS update
Did you clear the CMOS after you'd verified that the BIOS was successfully updated to the latest version?

TRENDING THREADS