Question Weird issue with extreme lag when opening monitoring software on brand new system

gaudio.ps

Reputable
Apr 6, 2019
Hi,

I built a new system and have a very strange 'problem'.

Everything works like a train, it is modern fast hardware, but when I load monitoring software like HWinfo or CPUz I get mega lag/slowdown.... And with both this happens when "PCI" comes into the picture what is being loaded : with HWinfo when "analyzing PCI bus in on screen" and with CPUz only when "PCI" is in screen while loading) When the loading is finished nothing is wrong...
Anyone have any idea what this could be?

System:

ASUS X670e HERO
AMD 7700X
AMD RX 6900 XT
850w Corsair PSU
32GB DDR5 5200Mhz

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"when I load monitoring software like HWinfo or CPUz I get mega lag/slowdown. "

Where are you getting that monitoring software?

Source website(s)?

It is very possible and likely that the source websites also downloaded and installed other things.

There are all too many websites that list some tool with with a big green Download button that is deceptive and may also download and install other things.

What to do:

Use Task Manager, Resource Monitor, Process Explorer (Microsoft, free) to observe system performance.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

What system resources are being used? To what extent ( % ) ? And what is using any given system resource?

Observe first without HWinfo or CPUz running.

Then run one or the other and again observe system performance.

Very good chance that something else is going and causing the lag.

Take your time, be methodical, keep notes.

Post accordingly.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Do you have latest BIOS and/or chipset drivers?

Do you have any PCI devices apart from GPU?

Try to disable the "Low-level PCI Access" option in settings if that will help.

CPU-Z harder to identify solution

gaudio.ps

Reputable
Apr 6, 2019
Well.... I disabled "Above 4G decoding" and that solved it.... But that causes the PC to boot somewhat slower... What does that Above 4G do, do I really need it to be on?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Above 4G Decoding affects the amount of RAM allocated at a time for the processor to work with video memory. And this explains some increase in the consumption of RAM. Previously, you had to huddle in a 4GB block, while with the Above 4G, you can use the whole area.
https://www.gameunion.tv/en/games/a...bioss-dark-horse-what-it-and-should-it-be-105
You need it on to use resizable bar

AMD CPU & GPU... I wonder which needs a driver fix.
Do you have latest GPU drivers?

You shouldn't need to change bios settings to get hardware monitoring software to work.

Last edited:

gaudio.ps

Reputable
Apr 6, 2019
I just RMA'd the board, i suddenly got blue screens and everything whether I used the above 4G decoding / Res BAR or not... very weird! For a 800 euro motherboard....this shouldt be possible. I have a lot of experience with systems, I never experienced this, so I think there something wrong with the board itself. Every configruation Is just buggy ...