[SOLVED] Weird issue with new build

Mar 3, 2019
Hi All

I am new to this forum and to PC building in general. I have worked with PCs all my life, and am a Computer Science undergrad, so I have good basic command of hardware and software.

I just finished building my 1st PC with the following components:

CPU: i7 9700k
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus Hero XI Wifi
DRAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB RGB 3200 MHZ
SDD: Samsung Evo 970 Pro 500GB
CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster 212 Evo
GPU: MSI RTX 2070
PSU: Corsair HX850i
Case: Corsair 570X
Fans: 3 front fans and 1 exhaust fan, all connected to motherboard power

Upon finishing the build and following YouTube simulations as well as the component manuals, I switched the system on. It would power on for 1 or 2 seconds, automatically shut off for another 2 seconds or so, then automatically power on and work fine.

In order to understand why that was happening, I started taking our component by component until I found 3 culprits:
  1. Power LED + and - pins: when I remove the two pins for the LED of the Power button coming from the Case to the MB, the shutoff above doesn't happen
  2. Power Button Switch: when I remove the plug to the two pins for the Power button command on the outside of the Case , the shutoff above doesn't happen
  3. Fan Power: when I remove the fan connected to the fan power pins just near the pins mentioned in 1 and 2, , the shutoff above doesn't happen

The weird thing is that all the above pins on the motherboard are next to each other, in the lower right corner of the MB

Has anyone faced this, or does anyone know why that would be happening?

Thank you in advance

Solution
You have an ASUS motherboard. All ASUS motherboards start for about 2 seconds, power down and then restart itself. This only happens when the motherboard is first powered or when the power cable has been unplugged for a while. It should start normally the second time, without the short start occuring.
You have an ASUS motherboard. All ASUS motherboards start for about 2 seconds, power down and then restart itself. This only happens when the motherboard is first powered or when the power cable has been unplugged for a while. It should start normally the second time, without the short start occuring.

Reactions: donkarko
Solution
Mar 3, 2019
That is exactly right. Thank u for that!

TRENDING THREADS