Question Weird Issue with PC

DaddyJohnny

Reputable
Jul 25, 2020
I have just installed a new 650 W PSU, as well as a 3070 NVIDIA Founder's edition GPU. After doing so, however, when I start my PC, my BIOS ends up "preparing automatic repair " and failing to find anything, but then sends me into the Windows boot manager. If I boot into BIOS, Windows boot manager is my only option available for booting.

I don't know why this is happening, and various cmd prompt and troubleshoot options aren't doing anything for me. Is there something obvious I'm missing here?

Also, I haven't reset any drives yet, as I'd prefer not to, if possible, but I'll do what is necessary.

Any possible help would be greatly appreciated cause I don't know even sort of know if this is hardware or software, or just something else entirely. Thank you in advance.

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
Windows would not care about PSU changes unless you plugged a control wire into the MB specifically.
That's not the Bios, that's the Boot Manager. You must catch the DEL or ESC key whichever your system uses, before the boot manager starts up.
It is advisable when you do, set the boot to post for 3 seconds, just so you'll have the opportunity to press the key before boot manager snatches control.
If unable, put in the old GPU, boot to safe mode, remove gpu drivers using the DDU cleaner, shut down, replace GPU, boot back up, install drivers.

DaddyJohnny

Reputable
Jul 25, 2020
Windows would not care about PSU changes unless you plugged a control wire into the MB specifically.
That's not the Bios, that's the Boot Manager. You must catch the DEL or ESC key whichever your system uses, before the boot manager starts up.
It is advisable when you do, set the boot to post for 3 seconds, just so you'll have the opportunity to press the key before boot manager snatches control.
If unable, put in the old GPU, boot to safe mode, remove gpu drivers using the DDU cleaner, shut down, replace GPU, boot back up, install drivers.
So, I have just finished u
I have now followed all of the steps except for installing the drivers again. After setting up my new GPU, I have no display at all. I have no mobo light indicators, and my connections all seem fine, but still I'm getting nothing. I can also tell that, at the very least, my graphics card's fans are spinning.

I don't get what I'm doing wrong.

DaddyJohnny

Reputable
Jul 25, 2020
What brand PSU did you get ? Come to think of it kinda low on Watts for that GPU. Also did you plug 2 separate cables into it or 1 split cable ?
I got the EVGA Supernova 650 GT, 80 Plus Gold 650W, and 650 is what NVIDIA had recommended, so I had thought it should be fine. I also have nothing else in my build that really draws much of anything from the PSU, so calculators online even end up saying I only would at bare minimum need about 403 W.

And one cable. NVIDIA sent me an adapter, I suppose, to plug one end into my 2x8 (I believe, I'm not home to look at it right now) and the other end into the slot on the GPU.

Latest posts