Question weird issues related to internet

Ruin91

Honorable
Sep 16, 2015
so iv been using this pc that i built for idk 6 years? had random issues here and there but they all got fixed but the last week iv been having some really weird issues with my internet
that i cant seem tyo fix i even wen as far as to reinstall windows clean didnt really help but the weird thing is a vpn seems to make a difference
its almost as if the internet stops responding for as second and then starts again for the life of me i cant figure it out and the wifi in the house works fine it seems to only be my pc affected which is connected via ethernet. But whats still weird discord works fine games run fine its just browsing the web that's a problem

things iv tried
changing the cable
flushing the dns and all that other stuff in the cmd
changing the dns server
reinstalling my lan driver
completely reinstalling windows
none of witch helped

my specs
asus b450-f
ryzen 5 2600
32gb corsair ram not overclocked
msi rtx 2060(non super)
not sure if relevant but my isp is Verizon FiOS

i have a theory as to what the issue is i want to know if anyone thinks i may be right
the ethernet port on my motherboard is going bad

Lutfij

Titan
wen as far as to reinstall windows clean didnt really help
Where did you source the installer for your OS?

Your specs is incomplete, please mention the make and model of your PSU and it's age. As for your motherboard, what BIOS version are you on?

Ruin91

Honorable
Sep 16, 2015
wen as far as to reinstall windows clean didnt really help
Where did you source the installer for your OS?

Your specs is incomplete, please mention the make and model of your PSU and it's age. As for your motherboard, what BIOS version are you on?
used Microsoft installation media tool
psu is a 800w gold evga i dont recall the exact model but its been in this system since 2019
bios is Version 4502

Since it does not affect games or discord you are not likely getting any packet loss which would be the most common cause of this problem.

What it might be is a DNS issues. If there is some issue talking to the DNS server it might stall the first time it looks up a new URL. It then buffers for a period of time so it does not need to talk to the DNS server again for that web page but there are likely lots of garbage pages for advertising etc that might load in the background.

The default DNS configuration is to use your router as a proxy dns server to your ISP dns server. Both those tend to not be the most stable options. Try to manually set the DNS to 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1 in the IPv4 settings. While you are changing stuff try to disable IPv6 since that too causes strange issues and you might be loading a mix of ipv4 and ipv6 sites which can perform differently.

Ruin91

Honorable
Sep 16, 2015
Since it does not affect games or discord you are not likely getting any packet loss which would be the most common cause of this problem.

What it might be is a DNS issues. If there is some issue talking to the DNS server it might stall the first time it looks up a new URL. It then buffers for a period of time so it does not need to talk to the DNS server again for that web page but there are likely lots of garbage pages for advertising etc that might load in the background.

The default DNS configuration is to use your router as a proxy dns server to your ISP dns server. Both those tend to not be the most stable options. Try to manually set the DNS to 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1 in the IPv4 settings. While you are changing stuff try to disable IPv6 since that too causes strange issues and you might be loading a mix of ipv4 and ipv6 sites which can perform differently.
CURRENTLY MY DNS IS SET TO AUTO HOWEVER IV TRIED

are there others i could try

also i did a speed test with and without a vpn
without te results were
700 down and 0.40 up Normally is 500+

wth one it was
700 down and 105 up
do these result point to the isp as the likely culprit?

If it is the ISP it is not something simple.

Both connection to the vpn site and to the speedtest site must travel over your ISP. The connection from your house to the ISP is exactly the same wire so that part would affect both equally. There might be some difference in the path to the vpn data center compared to speedtest but it could actually be between your ISP and other ISP.
Doesn't matter a lot you are only going to get the ISP to look at stuff between their equipment and your house anything in their network they are not going to do much about.

Maybe it is software on your machine. Asus bundle all kinds of bloatware and things like their dumb "gamerfirst" software causes all kinds of strange issues.

Ruin91

Honorable
Sep 16, 2015
If it is the ISP it is not something simple.

Both connection to the vpn site and to the speedtest site must travel over your ISP. The connection from your house to the ISP is exactly the same wire so that part would affect both equally. There might be some difference in the path to the vpn data center compared to speedtest but it could actually be between your ISP and other ISP.
Doesn't matter a lot you are only going to get the ISP to look at stuff between their equipment and your house anything in their network they are not going to do much about.

Maybe it is software on your machine. Asus bundle all kinds of bloatware and things like their dumb "gamerfirst" software causes all kinds of strange issues.
i built this pc myself there is not added software
and like i said i did a full reintall of windows wiped the drives and evrything and the issue still was there