[SOLVED] Weird issues with Windows 10 Pro

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
I have a Windows 10 Pro system that is six months old which has a couple of issues...
  1. When I enable Fast Startup mode (Control Panel, Power Options, Choose What the Power Buttons Do, Turn on Fast Startup (recommended), Windows will end up booting to a blue screen with the circling dots screen. It does not go past that (I waited for an hour). If I press CTL-ALT-DEL, the screen changes to a blurred log-in screen without the log-in box. Microsoft said to delete all the cversions.3.db files in the cache folders of each profile but that did not work. I even created a new profile but the problem still occurs.
  2. I cannot access safe mode completely. When doing so, I do get in Windows but I cannot anything (such as Windows File Explorer). Nothing responds.
Any thoughts or help would be appreciated... Thanks in advance.

firelighter487

Prominent
Aug 18, 2019
I cannot access safe mode completely. When doing so, I do get in Windows but I cannot anything (such as Windows File Explorer). Nothing responds.
reboot into safe mode again, and press the Windows key + r simultaniously. in the dialog box that pops up type "explorer.exe" without quotes and see if the file explorer opens then. if it does go to control panel and turn fast startup off.

If you are able to boot into windows, disable fast startup; fast startup is known for creating a slew of issues and does not significantly increase the boot time of ssds.

If you can't boot, unplug your PC and press the power button for about 10 seconds; this should clear the fast startup info from your RAM. Plug you PC in again and try to boot. If it works disable fast startup. If it does not work, remove and reinstall your RAM sticks and try again. Also try booting with one stick of RAM; if it does not work, switch the Ram sticks.

Last edited:

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
thanks for all the suggestions...
  1. SFC /SFC Scannow showed nothing wrong
  2. I have been running in normal startup mode since I posted and so far it seems okay but there have been a couple of times where Device Manager goes wonky. It keeps beeping and saying that a USB device has been disconnected but there was nothing plugged in. After a couple of days that message errors out (saying the device has been disconnected) and works okay. Then it happens again every so often (about every couple of weeks).

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
I now am completely stumped.... I did a complete fresh reinstall of Windows 10 from scratch and all the issues are still there... I am thinking that the problem is now with my ASUS ROG X570 Crosshair Hero VIII motherboard.

To recap, the problems encountered...
  1. Enabling Quickstart results in the system booting to a login screen without the login box. I have to restart it...
  2. all the USB 3.0 ports are wonky. Inserting flash drives are not always recognized.
  3. I am still getting "unknown USB device (device descriptor request failed" in Device Manager

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
I tracked down the issue to the motherboard. It is definitely defective. Here's the odd thing. I tried submitting an online RMA with ASUS and i get the response that a RMA has already been issued. It makes me wonder if my board was a return/recycled by Best Buy.

I have had issues with Best Buy. About 6 years ago, I bought a laptop from my son at Best Buy. It was a Windows 7 computer that was upgraded by Best Buy to Windows 8.1 as part of the deal. 4-5 months later my son got a message that his Windows license was unauthorized. It turned out Best Buy was using it's access to OEM licenses to update computers, which is a violation of their MS agreement. Best Buy then loaded a retail version of Windows 8.1 on his computer to make it right. If ASUS gives you any trouble, I would return it to Best Buy and make some noise.