Question Weird keyboard input lag problem caused by USB drives

mjbn1977

Distinguished
I have a weird problem that occurs sometimes when I have external hard drives or USB thumb drives attached to my computer. I sometimes experience extreme keyboard input lags (up to the point of no input reaction at all). This only occurs when I have a USB thumb drive attached to the front USB ports on my case and now most recently it also occurred with a external hard drive attached to one of the back side USB ports. All lag problems disappear at ounce as soon as I disconnect the drive from USB port. Even stranger, I can't really replicate the problem, because it doesn't happen all the time. Most of the time I have no lag problem with USB drives attached. But it happens frequent enough to be highly annoying. Any ideas what could cause this and how to fix it? Thanks!!

Can be everything. You need to figure out if this problem is due to software malfunction or hardware errors.

First : Is it some conditions that make it more likely that the issue appears? Like - when computer have being running for some time vs. just booted, when it is warm after running intensive gasks or games ?

How long time have this problem lasted? Have you installed or upgraded something prior to the first occurrence of the issue? Any changes to hardware?

Have you experienced other problems with the computer not mentioned? Is there other problems to usb peripherals? Have you tried another usb keyboard?

Does the same keyboard and USB drive go together on other computers?